Your end

Minho's legs had lost strength the moment he saw Jisung. He was soaked in blood from his neck to his hips, a long cut trailed down his cheek, and he was bleeding from separate, small wounds riddling his body. The medical staff was rushing around him, calling out for supplies and giving instructions. The Sun Prince wanted nothing more than to run to his fiance's side, but he held himself back. The doctors had to save him first.

For two hours, Minho stayed a safe distance away, itching to do something but unable to move from his place. Every glimpse he caught of Jisung wrenched his heart and made him feel physically ill, every sudden move and exclamation from the healers jolted his heart. But finally, after what felt like days of waiting but was only a few hours, Minho was allowed to see him.

The Moon Prince was moved to a small, private room within the infirmary, and Minho was grateful for that, because he knelt at Jisung's bedside, held his hand, and softly wept. He couldn't help feeling like this was his fault, like his love was on the verge of death because of him.

The plan to bring the Moon King to his knees had remained the same, for the most part. He was going to meet Jisung alone, and that in itself usually revealed the king's true nature, so once he exposed himself to the courts, they would be able to take care of everything from there, including the investigations for further evidence to convict the king to all of his crimes.

But Minho should have known when Jisung told him to stay at the castle, he should have known that the Moon Prince was planning something he wouldn't like or agree to. Jisung was never meant to challenge his father, but Minho knew he did everything for a reason. And now, sitting here praying for Jisung to live, Minho wondered if he'd let himself be hurt on purpose, if he'd let the Moon King practically kill him all for the sake of bringing him to his end.

Minho fell asleep there on the floor, his head against Jisung's bandaged side, their hands loosely wrapped together. He wasn't sure how long he was there, but by the time someone shook him awake, it was dark outside.

"Your Highness, you can go get some rest," Changbin whispered, his hand gently grabbing Minho's shoulder. The bodyguard looked much better than he did days ago, his bruises mostly healed, his cuts closed over. "I'll watch him."

"Changbin." Minho sat up, rubbing his face tiredly and ignoring the pain his knees were in. "You don't have to-"

"I want to." His voice grew more quiet. "I need to."

Minho softened in understanding. In Changbin's eyes, he'd failed to protect Jisung, failed as a friend. "Alright. Thank you. I'll go find you a chair." Minho reluctantly got to his feet, his eyes heavy, legs unsteady and numb in a few spots. He kissed Jisung's hand and then set it back on the bed gently.

Rather suddenly, Changbin pulled Minho into a tight embrace, but the Sun Prince melted into it instantly, unlike he usually would. Right now, he felt fragile, and he hated the feeling, but Changbin's strong arms seemed to hold him together, at least for a little longer.

"He'll be okay, Minho," Changbin whispered, his voice heavy with emotion. "He has to be."

For a moment, the pair held each other, offering comfort and companionship without colorful words and elaborate actions. Simply holding each other was all that was necessary.

At last, Minho stepped back, doing his best to compose himself before making his way through the castle. "You were there, right? What... what happened?"

Changbin's eyes dropped to the floor. "Jisung did what he had to to get the evidence he needed, to show everyone who the king truly is. It was painful to watch, but since The Challenge was declared, I couldn't step in. No one could."