Chapter 48

Red cobra eyes stared at me from the back of Raphael's hand, which gripped a quickly melting container of Moose Tracks ice cream.

I only knew his name because he had just shouted it in my face and jumped away from me like I was plague patient zero.

We had plowed into each other as he attempted to exit the kitchen at the same time I hobbled around the corner to enter. Giggles bubbled up and out of me at the absurdity of the situation and how the first instinct he had was to introduce himself, albeit in a very loud and awkward way.

"Raphael," I laughed. "I'm Regan."

"I know." He averted his gaze, blushing furiously. He might bolt any second.

It was kind of adorable, actually. So was he. Tall and well-built, like most of the men who worked for Mark, with floppy dark hair, big brown eyes, and a skittish nervousness about him that made me want to wrap him up in a hug. His clothes were utilitarian - black pants with tons of pockets tucked into black boots, tight dark grey t-shirt, holster, and gun strapped to his side. His belt was full of magazines and brutal-looking knives.

Each of the men that Walker had recruited to work with him and Mark had some kind of 'specialty.' I didn't know any of theirs and was incredibly interested in finding out, especially Raphael's. It was hard to imagine him capable of any violence as he stood there blushing and clutching his ice cream.

"Can we talk, just for a minute?"

This man had seen me naked, spread open like the Red Sea, and had heard me shrieking absolutely filthy things to his boss. I felt like a quick chat was needed.

He nodded, now looking at his feet.

"Were you and the guys from last night the same ones that watched me at Thad's house?" I was pretty sure of the answer, but I wanted to confirm. I had seen three outside at Thad's, yet four guys got to play with me last night. Had there been a fourth hiding in the dark somewhere out of sight?

Raphael gave a small nod.

"Everything that happened last night, and the night before, was completely consensual, you know that, right?"

Raphael nodded again.

"I liked all of it. I enjoyed you watching and really enjoyed last night."

I was met with more silence. "Okay, I just wanted you to know that."

"I - I enjoyed it, too." Finally, he looked up at me.

My smile was soon mirrored by his. "Good. I'm glad. I don't want any of you to do something you're not okay with."

"We're okay with it!"

Now I was the one blushing, his enthusiasm so wholesome and so - well, enthusiastic.

"Sorry, I mean, we're all good with it. Mark didn't make us do it. He asked."

"He asked you?"

Raphael grunted, laughing a little. "It was a borderline demand. Followed by a threat of bodily harm if we touched you or hurt you."

"That sounds more like it. Thank you. And you were a perfect gentleman."

"I'll let the others know - Ben, Merrick, and David. They're all posted down here with me."

"Don't bother!" someone yelled from down the hall near the front door. "I can hear you. I'm Ben, by the way, the one that touched your tit."

"Hi, Ben!" I yelled back. He was the one I passed by moments ago. Being so focused on getting my coffee, I had barely registered that anyone was there. He had just been a tall shadow in my periphery. Their presence wasn't nearly as intrusive as before.