Mission - Chapter 2

Hero work becomes repetative after a time but that is true to any kind of job. Days pass after days without any versatility. Especially when you barely have anyone to be around.

I wonder if the other heroes don't have a social life either.

For around three-four years, since I started my agency, my only companion has been Techalyze. I don't even know her real name, yet she acts like my bestie.

Techalyze is my most trusted sidekick and my right hand. Her quirk is Analyzing, she can determine official and physical data about a person or group. For instance, name, age, height, birthdate, body temperature, painful spot etc.

At the beginning, she was only able to see the kinds of informations that can be seen on an ID card but by training her quirk, she's got to know how to read personal informations as well. Like relationship status, sexuality and current emotion.

It is not the most powerful quirk in a fight but it's definitely benefitial as a sidekick whos task is to gain information about the target. Furthermore, she's a skilled hacker, and that is also a plus point for her.

We've been working together for three and a half years now but... For some reason we never go into an official frienship.

Does it sound childish? Probably. But unfortunately, we're buddies at work but strangers in public. I don't know anything about her personal life. The moment we exit the agency, she's a different person towards me. We never hang out and we never share a drink out of work. I'm scared to call her my friend because... The moment I start to label things is the moment where they quit...

I don't want her to quit...

Yet, I have never been the one to title loneliness as an excuse to anything, I wasn't raised that way.

Am I overthinking this?

Or am I just cursed?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Around 9:30 pm I arrive home. It's been one month since the photoshoot was published in September and I have to say, the results were definitely astonishing. I've got a bunch of positive feedback and encouragement about my work as a hero. Moreover, my fanbase definitely have expanded.

I have a shower, change into my goofy pajamas, then sit down on the couch in my dinner's company. I turn on the TV to watch the news and to feel how my braincells slowly disperse and evaporate from my skull.

What a day...

I sink into the couch.

Who am I kidding, nothing happened.

The announcer in the news starts speaking but my mind is in a different universe.

Maybe I should adopt a cat...

That is when my phone light up. I recieved a notification.

I grab my phone, looking through it. I got a message on the Hero Network from Endeavor.

I quickly open the message. I know that these kind of letters are important, sometimes it requests immediate attention.

"Dear Alter Beat,

Please appear on an extraordinary meeting in my agency tomorrow at 8 am. There is a mission that we need your assistance on. If possible, forward this request to your sidekick, Gamer Girl. Her quirk and hacking skills may come handy in this situation.

Yours sincerely,
Endeavor"

The case seemed important. Might as well be a bigger mission.