Chapter Six

Being on the pack's land was surreal to Alex. It was nice to get away from the Cullens in her opinion. The only one that would be stupid enough to cross the treaty line would be Jasper. Since he had found out that him and Alex were mates, he had been persistent on breaking down her walls. Alex wasn't giving in though. She knew they wouldn't work out, and she didn't want to have to face the heartbreak that it caused. 

Alex could hear the pack before she seen them. All of a sudden she was surrounded by the wolves. She felt no fear as they trapped her in a circle. Looking towards Sam's large black wolf, she approached him slowly. As she approached him, he didn't know what to do. Something inside him told him not to attack her. The pack, hearing his thoughts stepped away from the vampire. Seeing the action from her 'enemy' brought a gentle smile to her face. Feeling comfortable with the she sat down on the forest floor. Sensing she wasn't a threat the wolves retreated and shifted. They came back to her dressed in shorts. 

"What do you need now Alex? Besides you keep entering my territory unwelcome," Sam questioned. He stood above her with his arms crossed. Not liking how he stood above her, she motioned for him to sit next to her. Thinking for a moment, Sam decided she wouldn't do anything that would harm him. "Now Alex, why are you here?" he questioned once again. 

"I've come to pay my respect to Harry's family," Alex replied. All the wolves were surprised by what she said. Seeing the confusion on all of the wolves' faces made her giggle. "What just because I don't have a heartbeat means I don't have a heart," she joked. They all looked down in shame. "Don't worry boys I'm not offended, we are 'enemies' after all," she reassured. 

Sam just huffed out a breath, "Its not that you don't have feelings, it's just that we aren't used to 'Cold Ones' showing kindness to us," Alex nodded along understanding the strange predicament that Sam found himself in. Now he had to make the tough decision on whether or not to trust one of his mortal enemies. "Why?" he asked. She knew that this was coming, why trust a lone vampire?

"I may have met him briefly, but I could tell he was a good man. Any man with a heart like his deserves respect, even from someone like me," she spoke up. The wolves all looked at one another before nodding their heads. 

Once the decision was made they all stood up, "Its funny, Jacob already gave me access." Alex joked. Sam rolled his eyes and scoffed. "Don't worry I was going to ask the big bad Alpha's permission too," she stated. Her comment relieved Sam. He was always worried that Jacob would try to take his title away from him. "Now if you don't mind, I need to go collect things before I pay my respect," she said before she ran away. 

Not long after Sam heard a knock on his front door. Emily looked over at Sam with a questioning eyes, the boys never knocked before coming in. Both made their way to the front door. Sam stood protectively in front of Emily. 

'Who is it?" Sam growled out to the stranger. 

"Use your nose you lap dog!" Alex yelled out. Emily laughed at the face that her mate made. She walked around Sam and the opened the door to greet the strange vampire. Even now she still didn't know whether to allow the vampire in or slam the door in her face, so she just looked towards Sam. "Ah I see you didn't tell your imprint I was coming," she came to the conclusion. Feeling rather awkward, she began to shuffle her feet. "I just need you to tell me where to find Harry's family," she said. Nodding his head, Sam kissed Emily on the cheek and walked out the door with Alex. Before she followed after Sam, Alex turned back towards Emily, "It was wonderful to see you again."

The two walked through the woods towards the Clearwater's residence. Both felt awkward not knowing what to say. 

"Your imprint is very beautiful," Alex spoke softly. Sam appreciated that Alex didn't bring up Emily's scars. That was one thing Sam would never be able to forgive himself for. "What's with the glum face their dog?" she asked.