Ohio

Daisy Higgins rode her bicycle to school daily despite her Grandmother's objections. The stately old lady didn't believe girls should straddle a contraption on two wheels. It was undignified. Daisy didn't care about dignity. All her friends rode bicycles. Why shouldn't she? In fact, Dayton, Ohio, was filled with cyclists.

Daisy owned the new VanCleave she bought at the Wright Bros. Cycle Company. It took her months to save up enough money to buy it. After school, she darned socks and pressed dresses at the local laundry. It was grueling work but well worth the effort. She quit her job as soon as she could afford her new bike. After all, she was only sixteen and wanted to enjoy her life with her friends.

Following her mother and father's death from consumption, Daisy went to live with her Grandmother. The old lady was much stricter than her parents. She wanted to instill in her granddaughter the correct etiquette to gain a successful marriage. Daisy didn't care much about etiquette or marriage. She wanted to have fun and enjoy her young life.

The VanCleave bicycle provided her with a certain amount of freedom. Instead of walking everywhere, she could ride with ease. It thrilled her to pump the pedals and, gaining speed, coast along the road. On Sunday afternoons, Daisy met her friends and rode to the park. They usually took a picnic lunch and lazed on the cool green grass. It was another activity the old Grandmother disdained.

"We're at the turn of the century, Grandmama," Daisy exclaimed after hearing another lecture. "It's time to change, to say goodbye to the old ways and embrace the new."

"Change," the elderly woman scoffed, "who asked for change?"

"Everyone." Daisy spread her arms out to include the whole world. "It's a new era. Hank Cliff's father bought a motorcar last week. And the Wright Bros. are working on some contraption in their bike shop. Hank says they are going to fly it into the clouds."

"Let's not verge on the ridiculous, child," Grandmama jeered. Her frown deepened her facial wrinkles. "If God intended us to fly, He would have given us wings."

"Perhaps He gave the Wright Brothers the ability to give us wings," Daisy pertly responded.

The Grandmother snorted and focused on her knitting. She believed in constant industry and kept herself busy with small tasks throughout the day. It irked her that Daisy flitted away her time on her friends and riding her confounded bicycle. As much as she tried to keep her granddaughter occupied, the girl always managed to slip away.

"What happened to that job at the laundry?" Grandmama asked, abruptly changing the subject.

"I got what I wanted." Daisy shrugged nonchalantly.

"Are you going to work only to get what you want, child?"

"Maybe." Another shrugged. "Maybe I'll run away to San Fransisco and become a telegrapher."

"Maybe you'll stay here in Ohio and marry like a descent girl," the disgruntled Grandmother continued. "I won't have you traipsing the country with the rest of those so-called Bachelor Girls."

Daisy stared speechlessly at her Grandmother. Her mind whirled with a thousand snide remarks, but she knew better than to voice them. Instead, she spun on her heel and raced from the parlor.

"Daisy, Daisy," Ida called from the street. Ida Clemons sat astride her own VanCleave bicycle.

Daisy pushed her bike out to meet her friend. Together, they rode along the street past Cliff's house. Hank came out to join them. The trio continued toward downtown and stopped at the ice cream parlor. They joined the rest of their gang inside, occupying several round tables.

American Girlजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें