Chapter 14 - Nightmare

Later at night, Agneya was sleeping on the couch when he heard murmuring sounds beside him and woke up immediately.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Agneya looked around to see no one else in the room and saw some movement behind the curtains surrounding the bed.  He stepped forward slowly and pulled the curtains, only to see Rashmi murmuring something in her sleep.  He tried to understand her words but heard only 'No' as she kept repeating the word. 

Dakini slept outside the bedroom, in the hall attached to the chamber, as usual.  So Agneya tried to calm her down by himself and started to pet her forehead slowly while saying, "It's ok.  Its nothing".  She calmed down in a few minutes and slept well.  Agneya too moved to his couch and laid down but sleep was far away from his eyes.

Rashmi's Dream

Rashmi's younger self was writing whatever her teacher had taught when she saw her younger sister Charu coming in with her toys.  Rashmi too got excited and started playing with her when their mother entered the room and saw that Rashmi was playing instead of completing her work.

"Rashmi, leave the toys right now and complete your work", Her mother ordered her in an angry voice which intimidated both the sisters.  As Rashmi got back to her work,  her mother held charu's hand and left the room saying, "I came to take you for dinner.  But now, you will not join us for dinner.  Once you complete your work, the maid will come here with your dinner".

Rashmi didn't argue anything with her mother and obediently agreed to whatever she said and looked at her work which was all about Agriculture and different climate conditions of Pranyakta as a whole and sighed dejectedly.  But still she gave her best in learning everything and wanted to fulfill her parents' expectations and to gain their appreciation. 

Scene suddenly shifts to teenager Rashmi looking at the falling Raindrops through her window.  Charu entered her chamber and said, "Didi, all of my bangles are old and I don't have a good one to match with this dress.  Now how will I attend the Annual meet with my friends?".  Rashmi smiled at her pouting face and stood up from her place to open her jewel box.

Rashmi said, "Let me check my box, if I have anything to match yours".  Charu was mesmerized by a set of bangles and immediately took it in her hand and said, "Didi, I like this one.  Please let me use it for today.  I will safely return it tomorrow".  Rashmi struggled to say No and finally didn't say anything and Charu went away. 

Rashmi sighed as she went to the window side and remembered the previous day's events where Samragyi presented her the Bangle as the gift for the official wife of Dakshesh.  And She also mentioned that Rashmi shouldn't go and wander around the Annual meet since all the Royal families and their respective successors will simply have a dinner together with the Royal family of Pranyakta.  And Rashmi should be present in the dinner meet rather than wandering around the shops and entertainments present in the Annual meet fair.

Once again scene shifts to when Charu was kneeling before Rashmi as the latter was sitting in shock as she got to know about her sister's betrayal.  As Rashmi became overwhelmed with the dream, she suddenly felt a warm  touch which calmed down her heart and brought peace for a few minutes without reminding her of her past.

After sometime, She saw the scene where Agneya was introduced by Samrat infront of the Academy and the moment when he touched her for the first time near the forbidden gate and eventually got marked.  Suddenly another scene came where a bloody sword cut off Agneya's head and Rashmi crying beside his decapitated body.

Dream ends

Rashmi was shaking uncontrollably in her sleep and Agneya immediately came to her help.  He spilled some water on her face to wake her up from the nightmare and effectively she woke up.  She saw Agneya's face near her as he was bending down to see her while she was lying on the bed.

"You are fine?", Rashmi asked in a daze and touched his face to make sure that it was not a dream.  Agneya was panicked at first seeing her shaking so vigorously in her sleep and now he was confused by her actions.  She caressed his cheek and a lone tear left her eyes.

Agni wiped her tears and consoled her saying, "It's ok.  No need to worry".  He helped her to sit up and gave her some water, after which She slept again but not before checking again and again that he was present there, infront of her.

Next Morning, Rashmi woke up as soon as the sunlight hit her face and immediately got reminded of her nightmare and turned towards the couch to see if he is present or not.  As she found the empty couch, She got nervous and started to panick whether he is safe or not.  She got down the bed and stood up but her legs became weak and gave up.  As she was about to fall, a pair of strong arms held her safe and helped her to bed.  She looked up to see Agneya there and asked, "You are here?".

Agneya asked, "Seems like Rajkumari forgot the one who had taken care of her during the night?".  Rashmi glared at him and said, "I do remember.  Everything.  Anyways you didn't need to take care of me.  Dakini is there right.  Dakini...Daki-".  As she was shouting for her maid, he kept his hand on her mouth and shushed her.

Agni said, "Since I was here, she went out.  And I just finished my Surya namaskar from your balcony.  So stop acting like you are angry and tell me what made you so scared when even the entire Pranyakta population couldn't do that".  She sighed at his words and said, "Initially it was just my past but towards the end, I saw you".

Agneya folded his hands while standing infront of her and said with a not so significant teasing smile, "Am I that scary that you were almost shaking during your sleep?".  She turned her to the other side to control her frustration and then said, "It's not just you.  It was your decapitated body".

Agneya's frowned at her words and got silent for a moment.  Later he said nonchalantly, "It's just a nightmare.  Don't think much about it.  Actually I have heard that you get such nightmares about the person whom you love the most".  Rashmi's jaw dropped on his comment and Agneya chuckled at her face and moved away from her.

Agneya opened the portal to go back to his chamber in the Academy Residence and looked at her for a moment and said, "Take care.  If you want to tell me something, then you don't need to hesitate".  As he turned around to leave, Rashmi said softly, "Leave this realm and go back to your world immediately". 

Agneya didn't turn back and just said, "I will.  But not immediately".  And then he left the chamber leaving Rashmi in chaos. 

Glossary:
Samrat - Emperor
Samragyi - Empress
Rajkumar - Prince
Bratashree - Brother
Bhabhishree - sister-in-law
Acharya - Master/Teacher
Mamashree - Uncle (Mother's Brother)
Mamishree - Aunt (Mother's brother's wife)
Bade - elder or big
Chote - younger or small

-----------------------------------------------------------

Precap:

Samrat told Rashmi, "Rajkumari Rashmi, I think it's time for you to enter the Palace as Dakshesh's Primary Wife".

Note:  It is the first time someone had removed a mark so most of them don't know what will happen thereafter and so Samrat wants her to take up her original place.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Hope you liked the chapter. By the way, how is the new cover?  AI pictures and I don't sync up well 😩

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.