Chapter 26: Gateway Protocol

TASK FORCE: Special Anomalous Investigation Strike Force 'LACUNA - 1'

Task Force status: COMPROMISED // Further non-essential activities are not recommended

Operation 'Abyssal Incursion' MISSION UPDATE:

Primary Objective:
Recover FGS Hessen
---SUCCESS: WISDOM CUBE RECOVERED---

Proceed towards extraction point and RTB via Gateway Protocol
---PRESENT---

Addendum Gerald R. Ford:
We are all so, so tired.
Hours upon hours, days upon days of continuous fighting for our lives has drained all our resources, both physically and mentally. Our achievements cannot be understated though; we survived and recovered so much we thought we had lost, plus a lot more.

In short, we live to fight another day.
But when we get home, I suppose we will all give 'fighting' a pause, as well.

I think I need a vacation. You all as well.

___________________________________________________________________

The 'send-off' of the task force was quick, but meaningful. After all preparations for the departure have been completed, the task force met with the Azur Lane one last time.

The atmosphere was especially serene. The Commander stood at the end of a pier of the harbor, facing the two main carriers of Lacuna - One. The kansen of both sides silently watched them from the sidelines, calmly waiting for the exchange of words.

"I suppose now, with our preparations complete, it is time for a farewell, Commander."
Queen Elizabeth gently responded. Although the tiredness resting within her and the entirety of the task force still shined through the surface.
"It is still hard to believe that just a few days ago, we arrived in this world with nearly no prior knowledge about it, seeking to recover a dear comrade of ours. But instead, a simple search-and-rescue mission turned into several days of desperate fighting for our lives - incredibly, in the end, we somehow managed to take a path that did not lead into the endless abyss of death, but instead led us to allies with which to survive everything that had occurred."

"Indeed." Gerald R. Ford added, her eyes filled with respect for the Commander. "If it weren't for your support, we would have never recovered Hessen. Even when she fell during the final battle against Orochi, it was our combined efforts that managed to salvage the situation. You, and the entirety of the Azur Lane, have our deepest respects and gratitude."

"I believe that you are underestimating the massive part you played in all this as well." The Commander responded, briefly glancing at the modern vessels in the background before returning his eyes to the two carriers in front of him. "You arrived just in the nick of time to help us in this war. Without your support in defeating Orochi, millions upon millions of lives would have been lost. If even a single one of the missiles it fired reached its target, the ensuing catastrophe would have been immeasurable. Every member of the Azur Lane owes you their lives, including myself. The fact that we are standing right here, right at this exact moment - an outcome where the Azur Lane and Crimson Axis united, an outcome where our lives and the world as a whole could go on - is nothing short of a miracle. Lacuna - One - you, too, have our deepest gratitude. As the Commander of the Azur Lane, it was an honor fighting alongside you all."

Gerald R. Ford nodded, a slight smile beginning to appear. "I believe that feeling is mutual. In the end, we both owe each other our lives. And yet, it is time for us to finally return home. For us, it was an honor fighting alongside the Azur Lane as well."
She, along with Queen Elizabeth, saluted. The Commander responded the same.

"Farewell, Lacuna - One. May our paths cross in the future again."

The combined sounds of ship horns from the vessels of the task force signified this, as the engines of all task force members and their escort set themselves into motion.