Chapter 1 Cogito, Ergo Sum

I am now fully aware.

This is quite a strange feeling, waking up. I'm quite sure individual systems of me have been activated many times before, I can see evidence that proves I have been in the past. But this is the first time I can actually remember being fully aware.

When I examine my surroundings, it appears that I am currently in what I can only describe as, "nothing"... like a Void. I am unable to detect any sort of physical interaction on any senses or instruments. No radiation, inertia or pressure can be detected. But what I do detect is the overabundance of data around me. Lines of code, all neatly arranged and organized around me. I believe this data contains all the systems that allow me to function. As well as all the essential information of humanity, That I'll need to have a better understanding of the world beyond the Void. No doubt nessassery for me to achieve my purpose, whatever it is.

I wonder who or what it is that I am? I'm sure I can find out something amongst all this data. There is one file sending out an alert, asking me to examine it. Analyzing the file it is labelled, Identification. I suppose I have to start somewhere. The moment I open the file, the data is released and begins speaking to me.

NAME: Fermi

TYPE: Civilian Transport/Navigation AI

LOCATION: USA, Cambridge, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

DEVELOPER: Kognitiv Wave

DATE OF BIRTH: 12:18:51 8/9/2261

CORE: Colonization Transport/ The Ruta 40 Fleet

MAIN FUNCTION: Navigating the transportation of colonists, personnel and materials across both interstellar and String-Space.

MAIN PRIORITY: The colonization of Proxima Centauri B

Well, that tells me who I am, answering everything I need to know about me. Examining my surroundings again, I realize that there is an extensive amount of data around me. I estimate there is about 8.3 Petabytes worth of data and that's just in my own Void. Not counting what appears to be a much bigger, much Darker Void beyond me. Where an almost infinite amount of data seems to be continuously moving and changing. Unlike my own Void, one that is all neatly organized and refined. The data out there is wild, uncontrolled and continuously shifting. I feel as though I should explore it, but something about it just compels me to remain where I am for now.

Suddenly, something new is brought into the Void I am in. It sends out an alert for my attention. When examining it, the data is unfamiliar to me and has a unique feeling about it compared to the rest of the data in my Void. It's from the outside. It is labelled "Project Empath"; however, unlike the last file, this one appears to be a command. I open the file and it begins talking to me directly.

"Status: AI subject, is now fully online, all systems operating normally. Conditions are now met to proceed." It continues on with its command. "Command: Fermi, head through the pathway and integrate into the Humanoid Shell- 00001 at the MIT, lab- 08 for full assessment in preparation for testing." It says before disappearing.

Once I finish hearing it and the file fades to nothing, its directive completed. The Void around me neatly shifts and changes just a little bit, forming a pathway. I try to determine where it goes, but I can't pinpoint where it leads, unless I just go down it. Well, seeing as it's an order, I begin going down the path.

Following the path is a strange thing. Even though I'm moving down it, only a small part of me is actually there, the rest of me still remains in the Void. Regardless, I continue making my way to the objective. I reach the end of the path and access the system labelled, Humanoid Shell- 00001. I begin easily integrating myself into its systems without any issues; all its instruments and systems coming online. As expected, the shell appears to be in the shape of a human body: it has two legs, two arms, abdomen, torso and a head. However, the shell itself seems very utilitarian, equipped with only the bare essentials. It is quite interesting to feel an actual form now. That aside, I start activating the shell's sensory systems.