20: ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵇⁱᵗᵗᵉʳ ᶠᵉᵉˡⁱⁿᵍ

☁️ ·̩͙✧C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y

☁️ ·̩͙✧
C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y

5 YEARS AGO

DAERON GAVE up as his sister held the sword against his chest.

"How could you possibly be so good?" complained the boy, ashamed and angry that he had lost to his twin sister. Yet again.

Mevanya smiled sideways, lifting one shoulder, trying not to recall with grief the memory of the one who had taught her all that and more.

"I have my tricks," the little girl replied simply.
"Mother doesn't know you're training, does she?"
"No, and if you tell her, I'll have to cut out your tongue for tattling," she threatened her twin.

Mevanya wasn't going to risk losing whatever privileges she had at the moment by lying to her mother about where she was.

"All right, all right, I won't tell her," Daeron didn't want to risk seeing if what his rather prodigal sister said would come true.

The children returned to the castle, Daeron separating from Mevanya to go with the other boys, while the little girl had no choice but to run with her septa to catch the afternoon classes.

ੈ✩‧₊˚

"There you are! Look at what father...!"
"Don't you ever get tired of bothering me, Mevanya? Don't you have any other friends?"

The girl stopped when her twin brother rolled his eyes at her. She frowned, she knew Daeron was like that, he had always been like that. From birth, despite being born as twins, they were polar opposites, while Mevanya was cheerful, outgoing, and sometimes there was no stopping her mouth, Daeron was more withdrawn, introverted, and found no great pleasure in talking nonsensically and endlessly, much like his sister did.

"Your only friend is me and mother, does that look like a good comparison to you?"
"At least I do get the attention of the Velaryons, or rather, Jacaerys Velaryon."

Mevanya opened her mouth in indignation and slapped her brother on the shoulder. Daeron could be bold with her many times, but at this moment he looked angry, as if he wanted to take his anger out on someone, and she was the only person he could take it out on.

"What's the matter with you?" she asked, a little indignantly.

The one and two name days old boy lowered his head, dejected, and there, his sister saw that there was something wrong. She removed her indignant expression and replaced it with a concerned one as she put a hand on her twin's shoulder.

"They're sending me to Oldtown, I'm leaving tomorrow."

Mevanya's heart skipped a beat.
Daeron could be rude to her at times, but he was her twin brother, he was the only one who knew all her secrets, the only one who truly knew her, they had a very strange bond, but a bond just the same. Now, he was going away, leaving her alone in that sober castle full of people who despised her.