𝟹𝟿| 𝙾𝚑 𝚗𝚘

“What?! And you're telling me this right now?” Addy screeched dramatically, clutching her heart like I cheated on her with another best friend, after I told her about what happened last night, as we both were currently in Addy's room

“Spill the details, girl! Is he actually a good kisser?” My face frowned in disgust at the said question.

“Ew, how am I supposed to know that? All I knew was that it felt perfect.”

My lips unconsciously lifted into a smile as I remembered the feeling of his lips on mine, making heat rush to my cheeks again, for the millionth time today.

“And that's how it works, that's how you get the girl.” Addy said in a singsong voice, smiling brightly,"Lovesick Jen is adorable!"

“I'm not,” I denied,”Anyways, didn't you say you wanted us to work together to complete your college apps?” I changed the topic, why was the sole reason I was here today on the weekend.

“Ohmygod, Yes! Wait a minute, I'll be right back.” Addy disappeared in a flash, reappearing moments later with my favourite blueberry muffins, and her laptop.

“Bribing me with muffins? Touché.” I said as I snatched a muffin and took a big bite, stuffing one side of my cheek.

“It's so that you don't give up half-way through, Buckle up. It's gonna be a long day.”

***

“And I think that's about it.” I stretched my arms as I felt the stiffness kicking in because of sitting on the laptop for hours now.

“Jen, You're a lifesaver!” Addy exclaimed,”You should stay for dinner, okay?”

My smile dropped, as I remembered both of my parents will be returning from a work trip today, I didn't get the chance to tell them because they were both away since last week.

“I can't.” I whispered under my breath, scratching my hair.

“Why not?” Addy asked with a frown, inching closer to me on the bed.

“I have to- um.. tell my mom about law school.” I replied, feeling anxious at the thought of speaking to mom.

“Oh,” Addy nodded in understanding, holding my hand in hers now,”It's okay! If you get disowned, my front door is always open.” Addy comforted me as I chuckled in amusement.

“Fine, okay.” I answered, feeling a little less tense now.

Atleast if I get disowned, there's one person willing to bear with me.

“Good luck, Mamácita!

***

You can do this.

“Arghh!” I groaned into the cushion as my frustration was piling up again.

I stood up, started pacing the living room, giving myself a small pep talk.

I stress-baked some chocolate cupcakes again as well, thinking about all the different ways I can confront my mom about law school.

When Mom's gonna arrive home, I'm gonna talk to her, and I shouldn't feel afraid.

As Addy said, it's my life to live, not my mom's.

But that isn't helping right now, I'm feeling sick inside.

I've never felt this nervous before, not even when I was writing my finals nor when I had to present a project.

What should I do? How am I supposed to tell her-

Suddenly, the front door swung open, making me flinch a little, as my mom walked in, looking exhausted. 

“Hola, Mamá.” I greeted her before taking her bag from her hand and placing it on the couch. 

“Thanks, Jen.” My mom made her way to the kitchen, removing a water bottle from the fridge and taking a seat on the counter.

I fidgeted with my fingers, it's now or never,”Mamá,” I started,”There's something I need to tell you, can you promise me you won't be mad?” I asked, my voice trembling at the end.

She raised a perfect brow, looking at me after taking a sip of the water,"All right, if you put it that way. What is it?”

Oh my god, I'm seriously gonna pass out from nerves, am I really that afraid of telling my mom? At the end of the day, it's my life and I won't let her dictate about what I want to do.

I continued fidgeting with my fingers, taking a deep breath before saying,”I want to pursue law and go to a law school, specifically Yale law. And if that doesn't work out, Harvard and Stanford are my backup options. I really hope you can support me in this decision and not be upset with it.” My mind suddenly felt ten times lighter, after letting it all out.

There was a silence, an awkward silence, the one which makes you so uncomfortable you wanna dig a hole and bury yourself in it.

”Mamá?” I asked, hoping for a response.

“Woah, you're actually being serious right now?” Mom asked, her expression surprised.

This was definitely not the reaction I expected, and it's literally going off-script with the conversation I had with my mom in my head.

"Si, mamá. I'm serious; I've always wanted to be a lawyer, not a doctor.”

She sighed, a look of dissatisfaction evident in her face now,”Tsk, you and your brother have a habit of not listening to me." She started, finally mentioning my brother,"Fine, Do whatever you want. But know that you won't be making any money out of it, and will be living miserably. You should be thinking about getting a real job, like a doctor or an engineer, unlike your brother. Those are the only fields that matter.”

I think somebody just poured acid on me. Why would she say something like this? Most parents would be supportive about it.

Mamá, don't say that. A lawyer is as important as other professions as well. I've worked really hard to get where I am, and I deserve the right to follow my dreams, not yours.”

She stood up as she tightly crossed her arms, yelling in plural,”I've done everything for you guys. I got you guys into the best schools, and this is how you guys repay me? By choosing a career path I don't approve of? I'm disappointed in you, Jenna Elizabeth Evans.

Oh no.

You know you messed up big-time when your mother used your full name in an argument.

Mamá, I-”

“I'm disappointed, that's all.” Mom said as she walked away, leaving me standing like an idiot who got her hopes up for nothing.

“Qué mierda?” I cursed under my breath, distressed about what just happened.

Just then, My dad's voice was heard behind me.

"What's with all the noise?”