Chapter 22

Hello! This is a little unusual for me since I always have my notes at the end but… This chapter is a little longer than normal (2,800+) because I couldn’t find a place to split it. If you haven’t noticed, I’ve been writing a lot recently so that might have an effect on how often I post in the future. Another big thing is that my writing might not be the greatest since I keep getting ahead of myself and posting before going back to review and revise. But rest assured, I went back to check on this one.

This would have been posted sooner but I have been posting often and I want to get back into my normal schedule of posting so expect something every week instead of every few days. But i didnt wait a full week because i got excited (a lil surprise). I also want to say that my school year is ending so I’ll have even more free time to write (let’s hope I don’t end up doing credit recovery). Anyways thank you and sorry for this long intro.

_______________________________________

My parents got really upset with me for leaving so early without saying a word. But there wasn’t much they could do. I was an adult and the only thing keeping me from being independent was that I was still living with them. I didn’t have money to go buy a house or essentials I needed to live on my own. But that changed today when I got a knock at the door.

“How may I help-“ I started but then realized who was at the door, “Oh hi Fumiko, how are you?”

“Hi y/n. Look I know this is such short notice, but we need all the help we can get. Since the snow came so suddenly, we want to get most of the plants harvested if they’re ready and the rest into the greenhouse. Please, will you help? And of course, you’ll be getting paid,” Fumiko’s voice was filled with urgency.

“Yes yes, of course, just give me a second,” I started to close the door. But she spoke before I could, “Actually I’ll meet you at the shop. I need to be there as quickly as possible.” And with that, she left.

I was a bit shocked to say the least, but I still got ready. “Hey mom,” I called as I walked into my room to get my jacket since it was snowing a bit outside. Honestly, it was so beautiful. I just hated how cold and wet winter is.

“Yes?” I heard her answer from her room. Once I slipped on my jacket and put on my working shoes that I used for gardening, I went to her. I knocked once, “I’ll be going to help Fumiko and her parents. Uh, I guess it’s my first day at a job. But I’ll be back, okay?”

I heard her shuffling towards the door, and she opened it so fast, “You? With a job? I’m so proud of you.” She kissed my cheek, “Okay well hurry on now, you don’t want to leave a bad impression.” I followed her advice and quickly left.

It was weird how I was twenty and still broke and unemployed. I had finished school so most of my days were unoccupied. Honestly, most of the teenagers looked for jobs and opportunities once they graduated. Since we lived in a small village, they left for the big cities and tried landing a high paying job. But that was mostly men since many of the girls were sold off to the entertainment district. Luckily my parents’ love for me overpowered their greed for money by a long shot. Still, I could have put more effort into getting a job sooner.

I finally made it to the Ogawa Botanic Shop. It was on the outskirts of the town since it needs a lot of space to grow the plants. Her home was right next door as well. I headed inside and saw that it was filled with cute flower arrangements in vases of water. I also saw small containers filled with herbs used for medicines, teas and such. At the front counter there was a young boy; He looked bored out of his mind. I assumed he was Fumiko’s younger brother since the resemblance was huge. Once he saw me, he seemed to liven up a little.