Chapter 16 - I will find you

Cory's POV:This night it is impossible for me to find rest. I toss and turn on the sofa in my mother's living room and stare holes in the darkness.

The clock is ticking loud and heavy and outside I hear a dog howling. My thoughts are caught in a spiral. Over and over again I go through the interrogation at the police station. For three whole days they talked to me again and again, trying to find a truth that wasn't there. But the talk I remember best is definitely the first one...

FLASHBACK

The light in the small room is loud. One of the neon tubes flickers and I blink and lower my view. Officer O'Conor sits on a plastic chair on the other side of the table. He leans over and folds his hands in front of him. He just sits there and stares at me with this...view.

The door opens and Officer Dial enters the room, a hot cup of...smells like coffee in his hand. He blinks his eyes, too, but he is not turning the light lower.

"Sorry I'm late. We can start now." This is the word for Officer O'Conor. He gets up and starts to walk around in the room. From the door to the small window and back. Again and again. Officer Dial leans against the wall behind the now empty chair.

"Mr Monteith, what do you know so far about today?", he approaches me.I check my watch. He is right, it is still today, it's five minutes to twelve. I should feel tired, I think. But I feel so awake.

After a deep breath to swallow my anger, I start to talk. "I left the house early this morning. Had some important appointments today..."

"Appointments?", Officer O'Conor interrupts me with a highly interested tone in his voice, but Officer Dial gives him a sign to be quiet. I think he doesn't want to tease me.

To his confirmation I nod in his direction and continue. "...like I said, I had some appointments today and I left around 6 in the morning. Lea spent the whole evening with Annie and Tyler and of course she was still sleeping. I didn't wake her, because I assumed she must be tired and she hates to be waken up in the middle of her sleep, though..."

I clear my throat and pull on a piece of skin on my left thumb. After a while I look up again with a provocative look in the face, at least I hope it is."After that I only know that you came into my house to pick me up like a criminal."

I spit out the last word. Then silence.

"So you want to tell me you don't know anything? You didn't have any contact to your wife today, hm?" Officer O'Conor stands behind me now, I feel his breathe on my hair.

"No, actually not."

"I don't believe you."

"I'm a very busy man, Officer.", I answer simply.

"Yeah", he mocks. "Some who organizes to kidnap an infant must be very busy."

"Greg.", Officer Dial says without turning his face to him.

Officer O'Conor snorts, but he doesn't say anything more. To be honest, I'm confused. Seems like O'Conor takes this very serious. That's interesting.

"So, I'm gonna tell you now for the record what happened today, as far as we know from witnesses and from Annie Rose. "Your wife, Lea Michele-Monteith, spent the day with Annie Rose. According to Ms Rose they met at around 1 pm for a walk to the city with Ms Rose three month old son Tyler Rose. They went shopping this afternoon. On the way back they decided to take the subway back home.

Because she wanted to buy tickets, Ms Rose left her son with Mrs Michele-Monteith.On her way back from the ticket machine, the platform was very full and the train already arrived. While Ms Rose tried to fight her way back to Mrs Michele-Monteith and her son, she heard screams in the front.