Barbara snorted. "Don't I know it."

"But," he said with a sigh of recognition, placing a pan on the crocheted pot-holder on the table. "They're made for it, and I can't really say the same for us."

"Why do you say that?" Walt asked, raising a brow.

"After what I witnessed today?" Matthew shook his head. "I wouldn't say anything else. These kids are made of tougher stuff than I thought existed."

"Which makes me wonder," Barbara said slowly. "What did happen today?"

Matthew pursed his lips, a troubled look coming to his eyes. "Shadows came to life and attacked. Monsters demanded something from them, but none of them seemed to know what it was. It was chaos and it seemed..." he sighed. "I don't know. Anyway, I'm not a trained wizard. Just a few magic tricks here and there, so I wasn't much help. Not even when Jamie got shot."

They all stilled at that. Remembering how easy it could be for anyone of their kids to get seriously hurt, but not being able to do a thing about it because that's just how their lives were. Barbara's heart hurt being reminded of Carter's wounds and how easily he brushed off the injuries.

"Well this has been thoroughly depressing," Barbara said. "And eye-opening. I think we need to do something to help them."

"I agree." Walt said. "Between us three, Trollmarket, and Hex Tech, we should be able to figure out something."

***

"Here, give me your leg." Krel sat next to him.

"Excuse me?"

"Your prosthetic," Krel clarified. "I am going to try and fix the issue of water-logging."

"Oh." Carter nodded and detached the prosthetic. He handed it to Krel, folding the rest of his pant leg under what was left of his thigh. "Thanks."

Krel nodded, getting to work. He set the leg down on the deck, pulling some sort of holo-tech screw-driver from seemingly nowhere. Probably the same subspace pocket he and Aja kept their serrators.

"I'll need your hand later too," the Akiridion said.

Carter let himself smile. "You could've waited."

"Not really, seeing as how we are on a boat and I would rather not have a repeat of the lake incident."

"Fair enough." Carter said, leaning back against the wood behind him.

They sat in silence for a while, the clank and clatter of Krel dismantling the prosthetic leg a sort of comfort amidst the sounds of the waves crashing against the hull of the ship. Admittedly, this was neither of their elements. Both of them would've been much more comfortable in a workshop surrounded by tech and machinery.

"You look tired," Krel said eventually, glancing at him. "More than usual, I mean."

Carter snorted. "Gee, thanks."

"I mean it Carter." Krel set his tools down, turning to him. "I'll admit, I don't often worry for you because I know you're more than capable of protecting yourself, but—" he stopped himself, sighing heavily. "Some things are just too big for you to handle alone."

Carter pursed his lips. "I'm okay." He winced at the look Krel gave him. He could lie to many people, but apparently not Krel. He huffed. "Okay, fine. I'll be okay."

Krel still didn't look convinced. "Carter, you're aware that you are one of my few friends, right?"

Carter chewed his lip, averting his gaze. He looked up at the stars. "Yeah... I know."