"A bad ass sorceress who kicks ass in every direction." Jim said, kissing her. "And the love of my life, so you get some bonus points."

"Who taught you how to flirt because I know it wasn't your mother." She was grinning.

"I'd say Douxie, but Carter told me that he's pretty much only a charismatic flirt with everyone but him."

"Braincells fly out the window when confronted with your soulmate, I guess." She said. "I think it's kind of cute."

"Yeah," Jim agreed, pulling her closer. "We have time to kill..." he looked down at her. "Is there anything you want to do?"

"Just stay here." Claire told him, kissing his cheek. "With you. I just want a moment before shit goes south."

"You know," Jim cleared his throat. "Douxie and Carter are... busy."

She glanced at him. Jim's cheeks flushed.

"We could explore the ship?" He offered. "I've never been on a real ship before. And um... you know, if we find someplace more private—"

Claire laughed. "You're cute when you try." She was beaming. She sighed happily and took his hand. "Hold on."

"Always," Jim said, gripping tight to her hand.

Light flared from her eyes and suddenly they were falling through empty space.

***

Archie watched violet magic flash through the sky. He shook his head, resisting the urge to roll his eyes. True there wasn't much to do on the ship, and most of everyone had taken to playing a board game up on the deck behind Steve and Harley while the ship basically steered itself. Douxie's magic was keeping them on a steady course, while still letting Steve learn. He knew why Douxie had surreptitiously decided to let Steve drive, but that didn't mean he had to like that decision.

"You're squishing me," he grumbled. Fenris responded by tucking Archie closer to his chest. "Fenris."

"Just because you are a dragon, doesn't mean you don't need to unwind too every now and then." Fenris' nose poked the back of his head. Archie was trying very hard to stay annoyed, but he really couldn't. For as much as the big wolf tried to act like he was some unfeeling monster, he was much closer to being a true dog than anything else. He was empathic to a degree, and that was made evident by his coercion in his attempt to make Archie less tense. "I know you're worried about them. I am too."

Archie sighed and resigned himself to his cuddly fate. "I don't know how to help them. I can feel Douxie's anguish. It's heartbreaking. He doesn't want to lose him, Fen."

"I know..." Fenris sighed, eyes closing. The ship was rocking back and forth gently, a warm breeze blowing over them. "I don't want to lose him either. Going with Carter was the best decision I'd ever made... and I—" he sighed again, not bothering to finish his thought.

"You don't know what will happen if he gets taken," Archie said softly.

"I know he doesn't know this, but Carter has been the one keeping him away ever since we left the island. Besides losing my friend..."

Fenris may lose his freedom. And should the god who'd imprisoned him in the first place choose to do so again because his protector was dead? There wouldn't be much hope in stopping him unless the god was talked out of it. Which was also unlikely.

"We can't have come all this way, fought this long, just for it to end like this," the dragon told the Wolf. "You'll be fine. You both will."

"Your optimism is astounding," Fenris told him. "I quite admire that about you."