PROLOGUE

Walking by, the courtroom halls are alive with hushed whispers and murmurs, a slim triumphal smile on my lips as my heartbeat roars in my ears. I make a beeline for the car waiting just outside the court. I can't wait to get out of here. All I can think about now is getting some sleep after experiencing the most physically and mentally exhausting hour of my life. "Mrs Miller, how do you currently feel about winning the legal dispute after years of struggle?"- is one of the hundred questions bombarded towards me by the reporters surrounding the parking car. The case and legal battle dominated headlines for years because of the involvement of a wealthy shareholder from the country's largest real estate company. The journey back is a blur as countless thoughts flood my mind. Driving up to the mansion from the back gates is when I see it.

"There you are," I whisper to myself at the sight, a small sigh of relief leaving my lips. I head straight towards him, not bothering to answer the expectant gaze of Greta, the head maid of the mansion and probably the only other person I still trust after everything. As always, a gentle breeze welcomes me as I near him, cherry blossom flowers showering over my head. He stands there, as calm as ever, when I halt before him.

Silence.

That is expected. You can't really talk to a tree, now, can you? But there's no need for words. There never was. He understood me in a way no one else has ever had. I raise my arm, gently grazing the words marked on the trunk, the same heavy feeling returning to settle on my gut, but this time with a tiny sense of peace and acceptance.