Chapter forty-two

Start from the beginning

Not like being back home with my dad is any better.

I rummage through the drawers in his room, praying that I find a key, a phone, something.

I feel a jolt of relief when I see what looks to be his old phone, the screen scuffed up and at least 5 years outdated.

"Please work, please work" I whisper to myself as I plug the phone into a charger by Rafe's bed, waiting impatiently for the screen to light up.

A few minutes pass, and it seems like all hope is lost, the screen is illuminating in my face.

My shaky fingers almost drop the phone from my hand as I swipe at the screen.

My heart drops when I realise it is password protected.

"Fuck" I groan, my thumbs hastily typing in any pattern of numbers that I think Rafe might use.

My face lights up when I type in his date of birth, the phone unlocking and the home screen presented to me in all its glory.

I go to his contacts, hoping to find Sarah, but to no avail, the only number he has saved is someone called Barry.

Who the fuck is Barry?

My face scrunches up in confusion, but I'm clicking on the name anyway.

Serves me right for never bothering to memorise anyone's phone numbers off by heart.

I let the phone ring by my ear as I wait for the mystery man to answer, bouncing my knee up and down rapidly as my body rushes with anxiety.

"What's up country club? Suppose you want the usual?" I hear Barry speak down the phone, catching me off guard slightly.

Country club?

I'm now just realising, I've phoned a total stranger in hopes of them helping me...

"Uhhh, it's not Rafe" I try holding some semblance of control and confidence in my voice as I speak.

"Well who the fuck is it then?"

"I'm his... girlfriend, well ex girlfriend.. look I need some help" I explain.

I hear him snickering, staying quiet for a moment before speaking up again.

"Do I sound like a marriage counsellor to you? I ain't doing shit" he continues snickering, his tone filled with sarcasm and obvious amusement.

"Jesus Christ, can you just... fuck. Just help me and I'll pay you, please?" I plead with him.

"Oh you'll pay me now? Pay me how exactly?" His voice switching into a skin crawling attempt at being flirty.

"With money" I hiss angrily over the phone, not exactly appreciating what he's implying.

"Might be a little late for that sweetheart"

I can hear muffled voices through the phone, my brows furrowing as I begin to panic that he isn't actually going to help me.

"What? Why?"

He doesn't say anything, but the muffled chatter continues as I try my hardest to listen at what's being said.

"Yo, country club. Your bitch is on the phone, here." I hear Barry call out, the blood draining from my face as my skin begins to prickle with fear.

"Barry, Barry, no" I try stopping him but it's no use.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing" I hear Rafe growl, my hand becoming sweaty around the tight grip I've got on the phone.

"Making new friends?" My voice squeaks out through my very blatant lie.

"You think this is funny? Do I sound like I'm fucking joking right now?" He snaps over the phone.

A part of me is glad that he's not here right now, just the vision of him becoming this furious terrifies me.

"You can't just keep me here like this Rafe! I'll scream until someone hears me!"

"Are you trying to threaten me?" He growls in a low, cold voice, sending a chill down my spine.

"No... Jesus just come back. Or I'll... I'll call jj. Yeah I'll call jj, and he'll come get me" I exclaim, hoping that this may knock some sense into him.

I immediately regret my words when he doesn't say a thing, his silence more scary than if he were shouting at me.

"Do it, call him" he murmurs in a voice that does nothing but makes my stomach turn.

"What?"

"Do it. And I'll fucking kill him, please give me an excuse to beat that fucker to death"

My blood runs cold at his sadistic, vicious words.

"Just come home Rafe" I whisper weakly.

IM BACK! Sorry for taking so long to update I got so so ill. Next chapter will be longer, and maybe a bit more interesting ;)