Chapter 28

The air was thick with anticipation as the final days of Aditi's pregnancy unfolded. Shubman, ever the doting husband, was her constant companion, his presence a reassuring constant amidst the whirlwind of impending parenthood. His routine was simple: practice and then straight home to Aditi.

On the brisk morning of October 21st, Shubman was immersed in his practice, the crack of the bat echoing through the air. Suddenly, Abhishek approached with urgency. "Shub, Shahneel di has been trying to reach you for the past 15 minutes."

Dropping his bat, Shubman's heart raced as he picked up the phone. "Yes, di?" he answered breathlessly.

"Shub, come to Breach Candy Hospital, quickly. Aditi is in labour," Shahneel's voice was both calm and commanding.

Without hesitation, Shubman replied, "Coming!" He relayed the news to Abhishek and dashed to the parking lot, his car roaring to life as he sped towards the hospital.

Upon arrival, a sea of familiar faces greeted him—Keart, Lakwinder, Shahneel, Ritika, and little Samaira. "Where is Aditi?" he asked, his voice laced with concern.

"She's in the delivery room," Shahneel responded, her nod attempting to convey reassurance.

Keart interjected with maternal wisdom, "Shubman, go home, shower, and eat the toast I've left for you. We'll be here waiting."

Acknowledging with a nod, Shubman followed her advice, the toast barely touching the sides as he devoured it, and then he was back at the hospital, the toast a distant memory.

Sitting beside Samaira, her innocent curiosity broke through the tension. "Chachu, why are we here?" she asked.

Shubman smiled, "Because a small baby is going to come."

"A baby? Whose baby?" Samaira's eyes were wide with wonder.

"Mine and Aditi's," Shubman replied, pride swelling in his chest.

As they conversed, Ritika observed them with a smile. "Shubman is going to be an amazing father," she remarked, and Keart nodded in agreement.

Then, the moment they had all been waiting for arrived. The doctor emerged with a smile. "Congratulations, Mr. Gill, you are blessed with a baby boy."

Gratitude washed over Shubman. "Thank you, doctor. How is Aditi?"

"She's absolutely fine. You can go in," the doctor assured.

Stepping into the room, Shubman's gaze fell upon Aditi, who was tenderly gazing at their newborn son. "Look at him. He's so handsome," she whispered, a tear of joy escaping her.

"Yeah! Just like me," Shubman joked, his heart full.

As the baby opened his eyes, Shubman saw the reflection of Aditi in them. "He has your eyes," he said softly.

The baby's smile revealed a single dimple, and Aditi chuckled. "And he has your dimple."

The room filled with family, and Shahneel asked the question on everyone's minds, "What are you going to name him?"

"Aryan Shubman Gill," Shubman announced, the name rolling off his tongue with certainty.

Aditi beamed, "Nice name, Shub."

Samaira, ever the inquisitive one, asked to see the baby. "He's so pretty," she cooed.

Ritika corrected gently, "Sammy, it's handsome."

But Samaira was adamant. "No, he's pretty," she insisted, and Shubman couldn't help but smile at her innocence.

Once the room had emptied, Aditi's curiosity piqued. "Where did you get the name, baby?"