Chapter 5

I made a decision. And now, I have to deal with that decision. The towering skyscraper looms over me, its glass windows reflecting the cars and people going about their daily lives. I catch my own eyes in the window. This is it. Where I'll spend my work study. My gaze traces the lines of the building, the sharp edges cutting into the bright blue sky like a statement of ambition. My eyes fall to the agency name in big bold letters above the revolving doors.

Endeavor Agency.

"You know, I heard Deku, Bakugo, and Todoroki are a part of this agency too," I mention to my sister, who's almost vibrating with excitement.

"Seriously?" She groans and I examine her face, then something on her hero suit catches the light and I look her over.

After getting to U.A., the school had us turn in our suits to ensure they were up to regulations and asked if we wanted any changes made. I kept mine pretty simple. A black fitted long sleeve turtleneck, black leather yoga pants, black gloves and black boots. Super unique I know, but I haven't found anything I really want different. The only thing specially tailored to my suit are my earbuds. They filter out excess sound and most of my quirk, so when I use it, I don't go down with everyone else. I have less high tech ones that I keep on hand for my team mates, but the ones I wear have been adjusted over time to make them exactly how I want them.

Kaida's is similar to mine. She's in a black fitted sleeveless bodysuit, black shorts with a sleek utility belt, black gloves with silver accents and her own earbuds which filter out my quirk. She also has a headband that she designed herself. I asked her why she wanted one and she said something like, I dunno it looks cool? To be fair, it does look cool.

"You didn't know that?" I ask, adjusting my earbuds filter level so I can hear her more clearly.

"I chose to ignore it," she says and I stare at her.

"How's that working out for you?"

"Shut up."

Walking inside the Endeavor Agency makes me feel... small. There are heroes and sidekickers running around, speaking to each other, discussing assignments. They don't even notice we're here. The air hums with the energy of ambition, alive with the footsteps of those who seem to belong here effortlessly. I can't help but feel like an outsider, the weight of my inexperience heavy on my shoulders. And I'm envious. Amidst all these professionals, I'm a mere novice struggling to keep up with them.

"Do you think he has a personal driver?" I blink. My sister always has a way of bringing me back down to Earth, to remember where we are at the moment. I stifle a laugh.

"Why would anyone need a car when they can literally fly?"

"Fair point. But seriously... he didn't have to go this hard." She lets her fingers brush the cherry wood paneling on the inside of the elevator wall and I shake my head.

"Be serious. I heard he's really hard to impress." Kaida needs to get focused. Endeavor is the top hero and she's worried about how expensive the elevator is? My sister takes my hand in hers and squeezes it reassuringly.

"Don't sweat it. He wanted us for a reason." My mind travels to the folded sheet of paper with the agencies who accepted us into their work studies. After we got home that day, I wrestled with my options, torn between my own desires and my sisters. In the end, I decided that staying with my sister would be a better choice. It's what Mom would want for us. After I made my decision, I threw out the form and didn't look back.

"I guess" I say quietly.

"Trust me, if anyone here has to worry? It's me. I mean, be honest, out of the two of us, who's more likely to screw something up?" She lets out a laugh and I search her eyes. Then, I smile.