𝟏𝟕

—〝𝐒𝐄𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐖 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐍 𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐒 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐋𝐘. 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐈𝐓𝐘, 𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐓𝐒 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐎𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐘. 𝐌𝐑. 𝐁𝐋𝐔𝐄 𝐒𝐊𝐘 𝐈𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐕𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐓𝐎𝐃𝐀𝐘!〞—

...

  THE woman grunted as she wrestled with the discomfort of her seat, the man's imposing presence looming beside her. With a strained expression, she peered over at him, her voice tinged with irritation.

"Seriously, why the hell are we doing this, sir?" she grumbled, attempting to find a sliver of comfort in the cramped space. They both held up newspapers, creating a barrier between them that failed to conceal the simmering tension. Meanwhile, the man, fixated on something beyond her and it was your lone figure he had his eyes on.

He leaned in, his gaze piercing as he peered his eyes on your form, his tone dripping with accusation. "You damn well know what's going on, danger tits. Didn't you see the way he was acting the entire time?"

The woman raised an eyebrow, taken aback by the sudden intensity in his voice. His words hung in the air, heavy with implication.

"That fucking—" he paused, his voice tense with restraint and took a quick glance at the woman beside him, "...sap's up to some shady shit," he continued, the words flowing out with a mixture of frustration and conviction. "I can smell it a mile away. No one should be acting that goddamn shifty."

His jaw clenched as he spoke, his eyes narrowed in suspicion. But then, as if to reaffirm his own resolve, he straightened up, a self-satisfied grin spreading across his face.

"And just like Sera said," he boasted, his voice now tinged with smugness, "'keep an eye out for anything suspicious,' and that's exactly what I'm doing." His words sounded almost rehearsed, as if he was trying to justify his actions, making the woman raise a brow as if she didn't totally believe it.

The woman leaned back, her irritation evident in the way she shifted in her seat. "Seriously, do we have to keep playing detective here?" she muttered, her tone a mix of annoyance and indifference. "I mean, who gives a shit what they're up to?" She purposely kept her voice low throughout her whole speech and gestured towards you with a casual shrug.

She glanced at the man beside her, her expression questioning. "They're just sitting there. We shouldn't waste our time on this, is this really worth our energy?" Her words were nonchalant, reflecting her lack of interest in the situation.

The man, Adam,  shrugged nonchalantly, his ego unshaken by her questioning. "it's just a precaution, don't get your tits twisted. If that tall son of a bitch were here, she'll be on my side on this." he replied casually, his arrogance thinly veiled. "Better safe than sorry, right?"

The woman's eyes, Lute, narrowed as she regarded him, her skepticism evident. "Right," she said dryly, her voice tinged with sarcasm. "Because spying on someone in a public place is definitely the best use of our time." She turned away from him.

Adam's eyes widened in disbelief before he turned to glare at Lute, his expression darkening with anger. "Don't you fucking sass me, bitch," he spat out, his words dripping with exaggerated venom.

As you continued to sip on your drink, enjoying the relative peace and unaware of the escalating tension nearby, shifting to sit more comfortably (you have to fix your tail problem when you get home), you suddenly caught sight of a familiar figure entering the restaurant. It took you a moment to register, but when you did, you couldn't help but be taken aback.