Chapter 1. This is a Fruitless Reincarnation

A young man dies a meaningless death and reincarnates into a novel. You might expect a super weak guy who has enough knowledge of the novel to overtake the main character, right? He knows all the secrets, the hidden power-ups and cheats. Maybe he'll grow strong enough to save the world. You might think so.

Haha. Not me.

What's the use? This world already has a main character. Compared to that hero of a guy, my dark long hair and cherry red eyes pale in comparison. I rather look like a villain instead. He's strong and tall and handsome, and he gets the girl.

Well, this is a romance novel, after all.

I sighed, leaning back on the steps. I watched the other knights continue with their spar in the training grounds. The sound of swords clanging and men huffing. The summer afternoon was stifling and insects buzzed in the surrounding foliage.

I had died and woken up in a new body. At first, I thought I was dreaming. Waking up in the world of a novel? There was no way. But it was all real, very real. And when I realised who the main characters were, I accepted my fate as a side character, a background character even. There was just one issue...

Of all things, a romance novel?

'So what if I read romance novels in my past life? Weren't romantic plays initially written by men?' I mumbled, directing my gaze to the sky.

'What are you on about, Asher?' The man walking behind me asked, making me flinch. He was young, and had a plain looking face, with dull green eyes, hair the colour of dead grass and freckles. Yet this man was the vice captain of the guard.

'Please ignore me, Sir Javier. I have a habit of talking to myself,' I grinned, waving dismissively. Javier looked at me, unsurprised.

'I know it well.' He grumbled, lifting his foot. 'Now get back to training!' He kicked my back, making me jolt forward with a crash, earthy dust fading the black training uniform. The leather knee and elbow guards I was wearing left me unhurt. But my brief respite had been ruined. Javier glared at me. The other knights chuckled, waiting for me to enter the training grounds. Yeah, laugh all you want. We're all background characters anyway. I stood up, brushing myself off. I picked up a wooden sword from the stand, rolling my wrist around. I had already warmed up before I took my break, not to mention the summer heat was cooking me alive.

'Maybe I should cut my hair.' I stood in front of the knight who stepped up to be my sparring partner. He had basic looks, and I barely recognised him. Was he a new trainee?

'I've heard a lot about you, Sir Asher. They say you're on par with the vice captain.' He said, lifting his sword. He had a smirk on his face, jeering. Ahh, what a bother... I sighed mentally. For a trainee, he was certainly confident. Though at his age, I could barely hold a sword. Well, I had just woken up in this life at that time. It was difficult to digest the situation. But there were perks. This body, a twenty-one year old trainee at the time, was already physically fit. All it took was a little getting used to. And in less than a year after waking up, I officially became a knight. I gripped the wooden hilt, raising the wooden sword.

'Mere rumours. I am nowhere near Sir Javier's level,' I replied, laughing coyly. I could still feel Javier's gaze on us. Did he intend on watching the whole match? I should end this quickly.

'But I will allow you to strike first, trainee.' I said amicably, squaring my shoulders. I was being fair; the sprightful young lad was up against a knight. He grinned and charged. He was faster than I had expected but not enough to throw me off guard. Our swords clashed and banged as we fought. It didn't take long for me to overpower him. He might have been fast, but his attacks were weak. I found an opening, and raised my sword, looking the trainee in the eye. It seemed he had good senses, his gaze freezing as he saw his impending doom. My sword came down on his faster than he could squeal.