24.

The air in the room felt heavy, suffused with the dim glow of the bedside lamp as Avi sat on the edge of the bed, her head spinning with dizziness. She clutched her chest, trying to steady her breathing as waves of nausea washed over her. It had been a long day, filled with stress and exhaustion, and her body was beginning to rebel against her.

"Avi, are you ok?" Dev's voice broke through the haze of her pain, his concern evident in his tone.

"I'm fine," she choked out, her voice barely above a whisper,"Just a bit dizzy."

Without hesitation, Dev sat down beside her, wrapping his arms around her trembling form. "It's okay, Avi," he murmured, his voice soothing. "I'm here. Just breathe with me, okay? In and out, nice and slow."

Avi tried to follow his lead, to match her breaths to his. Gradually, the tightness in her chest began to ease, the panic slowly receding. She clung to him, grateful for his presence, for his calming touch.

But just as she started to relax, the memories came rushing , more vivid and painful than ever. She saw herself as a child, her parent's harsh words ringing in her ears, telling her she was a burden, a mistake.

And then, she saw her mother, standing in front of her, a look of disdain on her face. "You don't deserve him, Avi," her mother's voice echoed in her mind. "He deserves someone better, someone who isn't broken like you."

The words cut through her like a knife, reopening old wounds and fueling her deepest insecurities. She pulled away from Dev, her eyes wide with shock and hurt.

"Avi, what's wrong?" Dev asked, his brow furrowed in concern.

She shook her head, unable to speak, unable to face the pain and the memories that threatened to consume her. She stood up abruptly, her heart heavy with sorrow.

"I...I need some air," she managed to choke out before fleeing the room, leaving Dev behind, his heart breaking for her.

But as she sat there, enveloped in her despair, a familiar voice cut through the darkness. "Avi?" Dev's voice was gentle, tentative. "Can I sit with you?"

She looked up, tears streaming down her face. "You don't deserve this, Dev," she whispered, her voice raw with emotion.

Dev sat down beside her, cupping her face with his hands "Avi, listen to me," he said, his voice firm but gentle. "You are not defined by your past. You are not defined by what anyone else says about you. You are strong, you are brave, and you are worthy of love."

Avi looked at him, her heart aching with the intensity of his words. She wanted to believe him, wanted to believe that she was deserving of love, of happiness. But the scars ran deep, the wounds too fresh.

"I don't know if I can do this, Dev," she admitted, her voice barely a whisper.

"You don't have to do it alone, Avi," Dev replied, taking her hand in his. "I'll be here, every step of the way. I love you, and that does not mean I'm here for all of the pretty parts, that means I'm here No matter what."

As Avi poured her heart out to Dev, tears streaming down her face, she felt a sense of relief wash over her. She had kept her pain bottled up for so long, but now, with Dev by her side, she felt like she could finally let it all out.

Dev listened attentively, his expression a mix of sadness and determination. When she finished, he took her hands in his, his gaze unwavering. "Avi, you need to leave that house," he said firmly. "For your own sake, you need to get away from there."

Avi nodded, her heart heavy with the weight of his words. "I know," she whispered.

Dev squeezed her hands gently, his eyes filled with empathy. "I understand, Avi. And I admire your strength and determination. But you don't have to do it all on your own. You have people who care about you, who want to help you."

Avi looked at him, gratitude and longing swirling in her eyes. "I know, Dev. And I appreciate everything you've done for me. But right now, I just need some time. I need space to think, to figure things out."

Dev nodded understandingly, his heart aching for her. "I understand, Avi. Take all the time you need. I'll be here for you, whenever you're ready."

Avi looked up to him and asked a simple question, that she wanted to ask him ever since.

                      "Why?"

" You once told me there was something beautiful waiting for me, something worth everything. I've found it.

  It's you.It's always been you.