rewrite preview

CHAPTER 5

"Where do you think you're going?"

Arabella had been halfway out the door when Spencer all of a sudden sat up in bed and raised an eyebrow at her curiously, her head tilted to the side in a teasing manner. There was a smug grin on her face, having caught Arabella in what appeared to be an attempt at sneaking out to do something she probably shouldn't be doing.

"Well, Spencer, you caught me," Arabella explained, sarcasm evident in her tone. "I was on my way to do some pretty irresponsible things."

Spencer crossed her arms, disapproval practically stamped on her face. "You're not even supposed to be going out on your own, it's dangerous. Plus, what the hell are you wearing?"

Arabella rolled her eyes, giving her Hello Kitty pajamas a once over, "I think I can manage eating some cereal without dying."

"How do you even have an appetite this early?" Spencer glanced at the clock on her nightstand which showed it being five in the morning.

Spencer swung her legs off the bed, just about ready to follow her temporary roommate wherever she was headed.

The brunette standing by the door sighed, "I'm going downstairs to get a glass of water since you hid everything in the house that I could use to make coffee."

"You make it sound like I did something wrong," Spencer stepped off the bed and pulled her plush pink slippers on. "You're not supposed to drink coffee after your head injury, doctor's orders."

"No," Arabella denied as she walked out into the hallway, expecting Spencer to follow. "The doctor said that an overconsumption of caffeine can restrict the blood flow to my brain and cause it to become dehydrated. He never said I wasn't allowed to drink any."

Spencer shrugged, following her down the stairs. "Oh well, better to be safe than sorry."

They had reached the kitchen, Spencer taking a seat on one of the stools while Arabella reached for the cereal in the cupboards. The doctors had instructed her to rest, stay hydrated, reduce caffeine intake, and avoid eating anything that was high in sugar. Resting was easy enough, but the girl barely had an appetite for anything other than cereal these days. Ian was still out there, and she was quarantined inside of Spencer's house, although hiding was a better word for what she was doing.

"Oh please, you practically have caffeine running through your veins," Arabella snorted, serving herself some Cocoa Puffs. "You want some?"

Spencer shook her head. "No, I'm alright. I take it you're not going to school today?"

It wasn't just Ian that Arabella was avoiding, it was everyone else too. She had barely spoken with Aria because it always ended in an interrogation over when she would be coming home. Spencer's parents had graciously allowed her to extend her stay even after all of the parents prohibited the entire group from even speaking to each other. Arabella was spared because of her injury and the fact that she was too jacked up on meds to contribute to the "Ian is dead" story the rest of them were sticking to. Maybe if she had been there and believed it she would sleep better at night.

"Nope, I'm staying here and watching TV all day. The show I'm watching is getting crazy interesting," Arabella said as she poured milk into the bowl, Grey's Anatomy having been her only source of entertainment for the last week.

"Have you talked to your parents at all?" Spencer asked curiously, having dodged enough questions from Aria about her sister.

"Yeah, I called my mom last night and told her I needed more time," Arabella told her, giving her as little information as possible. She wasn't in the right headspace to talk about this yet.