Deviant

Hank sits on a bench near the river, drinking. Connor and Y/n sat in the car. Y/n looked at Connor through the rearview mirror, he looked conflicted...

Connor met her eyes through the mirror. Then he got out of the car and approached her car door, opening it. He offered his hand and Y/n took it. She got out of the car and the two looked at each other quietly for a second longer than necessary.

Y/n broke eye contact first as she started walking towards Hank, Connor following behind her.

When Hank sees them, he speaks "Nice view, huh? I used to come here a lot before..." he stopped. Connor and Y/n looked at him.

"Can I ask you a personal question, Lieutenant?" Connor asked. Hank looks up at him. "Do all androids ask so many personal questions or is it just you?" He asked.

Connor asked, "I saw a photo of a child, on your kitchen table." Hank looked away from him. Connor continued, "It was your son, right?"

"Yeah... his name was Cole." Hank replied.

Connor and Y/n stayed quiet for a moment, until Connor spoke again. "Before what?"

"Hm?" Hank wondered.

"You said 'I heard to come here a lot before', before what?" Connor asked. Y/n looked away, wondering if it was a good idea to ask.

Hank spoke, "Before... before nothin'..." he replied.

Connor got the hint and took a few steps forward, changing topic. "We're not making any progress on this investigation... the deviants have nothing in common. They're all different models, produced at different times, in different places..."  he says, folding his arms.

Y/n stayed quiet.

Hank speaks, "Well, there must be some link..."

Connor replies, "What they have in common is this obsession with RA9. It's almost like some kind of... myth. Something they invented that wasn't part of their original plan." He says, wondering.

Y/n lowers her head, looking to the ground. Hank spoke again, "Androids believing in God...Fuck, what's this world coming to?" He says, taking a sip of his drink.

Connor notices this. "You seem preoccupied, Lieutenant." He says, turning towards him and Y/n. "Is it something to do with what happened back at Eden Club?" He asks.

Y/n looks at Hank, curious to his answer. Hank nods slightly. "Those two girls... they just wanted to be together... they really seemed... in love." He said. Y/n stared at him, not knowing how to react.

Connor did, he replied. "They can simulate human emotions. But they're just machines." He said. Y/n moved her gaze towards him. He continued, "and machines don't feel anything." He said. Y/n looked away from him again and towards Hank.

"What about you Connor and Y/n?" Hank spoke and stood up from the bench after downing the rest of his bottle. "You look human, you sound human, but what are you really?" He asked, looking between the two androids.

Connor replied. "In my case, I'm whatever you want me to be, Lieutenant. Your partner, your buddy to drink with... or just a machine, designed to accomplish a task." Connor breaks eye contact with Hank and looks at Y/n for a small second. She stayed quiet.

Hank spoke again. "You could've shot those two girls, but you didn't." He pushed Connor slightly backwards. "Why didn't you shoot Connor?" He asked. Connor's eyes moved over to Y/n again, but he immediately averted his gaze back to Hank.