CHAPTER 1: THE MAGNIFICENT KOVENSKY BROTHERS

Argentina, perhaps 1924. The tale of the Kovensky brothers ranks among the most renowned medical cases worldwide. The conjoined twins were born linked by non-vital organs in a perpetual embrace, bound by a physical tie that defied the laws of nature—a paradox of the flesh. For a time, the Kovensky twins assumed a mythical status, resembling a modern Hydra or a waning Cerberus, captivating and bewildering the entire globe. Their intertwined bodies merged duality and unity, embodying both the inherent singular and multiple aspects of a shared existence.

The chronicle of the Kovensky twins and their anatomy sealed under a capricious star evolved into a poignant chapter that transcended national borders, attracting international media that swarmed like flies for weeks at the doors of the hospital where their symbiosis began, eager to capture every nuance of their altered existence. The birth of the Kovensky twins galvanized a nation into a united chorus, with prayer chains weaving through the intimate folds of society like delicate, invisible threads of faith and solace, of tragedy and redemption.

 The birth of the Kovensky twins galvanized a nation into a united chorus, with prayer chains weaving through the intimate folds of society like delicate, invisible threads of faith and solace, of tragedy and redemption

The Kovensky twins were born via cesarean on a strangely cold January morning at the central hospital in the uncertain city of Buenos Aires. The birth of the creature was a complete surprise, as there was no way at that time to anticipate such a horror. The labor was an odyssey, and the cesarean surgery of the monsters was broadcast live on Radio Sudamericana, drawing higher ratings even than the famed "Fight of the Century" between Firpo and Dempsey at New York's Polo Grounds. The narration, with the rhythm of a precise and courageous surgical dance that chilled the blood, silenced the entire nation for the 14 hours it lasted. The doctors' announcement of success triggered a collective sigh of relief that later transformed into a massive celebration in Plaza de Mayo, the epicenter of the euphoria sparked by the miracle. That day celebrated not only the triumph of science and medical feat but also the victory of a nation always inclined toward the extraordinary. The story of the Kovensky twins transcended the barrier of the humanly imaginable; it became a symbol of overcoming, a compelling testament to the human spirit's ability to soar and conquer the unattainable. Shortly after the birth, the Kovensky twins were photographed with the First Lady of Argentina, the Portuguese lyric soprano and philanthropist Regina Pacini. Two weeks later, they were forgotten.

Their mother abandoned them soon after, as if they were broken toys, and they were taken to a physiological research center led by a deranged Soviet

Their mother abandoned them soon after, as if they were broken toys, and they were taken to a physiological research center led by a deranged Soviet. During their early years, the brothers were subjected to unimaginable tortures in the name of medical research: they endured atrocities such as induced asphyxiation, exposure to corrosive chemicals, immersion in abrasive liquids, systematic sleep deprivation, forced administration of toxic substances, and were subjected to intense electric shocks to assess their conditioned responses. According to some nurses, the mutants loved each other fiercely.

Years later, science would separate them, and they would never see each other again. At 18, Lucio Kovensky entered a police cadet school in Villa Lugano, and Blas Kovensky joined the Antarctic Campaign. From that moment, their paths diverged, plunged into a mutual unawareness amplified by more than mere physical distance. It was not only science that had managed to separate those deformed, denied, abject, uncomfortable, and flawed bodies. The inexorable weight of their choices had as well.