2. "I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't make it out alive."

(1664 words)

"I told you to take his vitals!" Dr. Bailey's voice echoed in the corridor, and I struggled to keep myself from grimacing at her loud volume. My only solace was that there was no one else around to see me get upbraided like a middle school student.

"Dr. Bailey, I couldn't force him. He wasn't letting me." I replied calmly. She was the one who kept lecturing us on the extreme significance of taking a patient's consent, and how it was basically a crime to touch a patient without asking them (except in emergencies, of course). Besides, I did not want to be added to the list of people that guy had murdered.

She frowned at me. "You sound like an incompetent person right now. I wonder if I should consider getting you fired."

My eyes widened. Why was she being so dramatic? I had done nothing wrong. "Dr—"

"Save it. Go tend to patients in the OPD. I'll tend to Mr. Knight."

I nodded readily, starting to walk away from her in long strides. Taking the elevator to the ground floor, I headed to the OPD where I spotted around eight patients sitting in the waiting area.

———

THE NEXT DAY

I had gotten to go home the previous night after all. After a good ten hours of uninterrupted sleep, I felt like a new person as I walked into the hospital. I was greeted by my colleagues as I walked to the OPD.

As I looked at the schedule for the day, I received a call from Dr. Bailey. Sighing, I put the phone to my ear. She started talking instantly, without even bothering to say hi or something.

The order she had for me made me freeze in fear.

"Mr. Knight will be staying at the hospital for at least a week. You're in charge of his wellbeing. Make sure to take his vitals every few hours, and have him take his medicines on time. Also, keep observing him in case any post-op complication arises. You know how difficult the surgery was. I will hold you responsible if anything happens to him. He's a very important man."

"M-me?" I could feel my blood pressure dropping. I dropped onto the nearest seat, holding my head in my hands.

"Yes, you," she snapped. "If you mess anything up, I will have you fired. Now go straight up to his room and do as you're told."

You evil woman, what have I ever done to you?

I was stuck between the devil and the she-devil. Why couldn't I be one of those blessed people who had angels in disguise as their seniors?

"Okay." I mumbled. The line went dead as she hung up without responding.

I took a deep breath, rising to my feet and walking like a zombie to the elevator. As the elevator doors opened on the floor he was on, I stumbled out, my head spinning as I approached the room he was admitted in.

I knocked on the door, then entered. He lay on the bed, staring at the ceiling. Just looking at him sent shivers down my spine. I neared his bed, struggling to keep myself from gawking at his arms again.

He turned his head to me, his eyes cold and his face devoid of emotion. I licked my lips, fighting the urge to look away from his ice cold gaze.

"H-hello, Mr. Knight. How are you doing?" He didn't reply, moving his head away. I sighed internally as my nervousness grew. Grabbing his file on the table, I went through it to look at his reports. "Um... your vitals from last night aren't looking too good... I'll have to take them again." Asshole. Didn't let me take his vitals, but succumbed to someone else? Jerk face. I was almost getting fired last night because of him.