twenty eight

Eight months later - July

"Okay, we'll pick this up tomorrow." I dismissed my last class of the day with a wave as the bell rang. "Don't forget the homework for tomorrow. Due every Friday, yet that still evades some of you." I threw a glance at the group of boys in the back who quickly glanced away as they packed up.

I went around the room, collecting up the books and stacking them on the shelves as the class filtered out. There was a holler out the window and I glanced up, smiling to myself when I saw the football team walking out onto the field, laughing and shoving each other. Travis followed them, scolding a few who were tackling each other playfully. I laughed to myself, shaking my head as I leaned against the window, watching.

Then my phone rang and I glanced down, taking it out of my pocket. Looking at the name on the screen, I quickly answered.

"Hey Mom, how're you feeling?" I asked, yawning as I turned away from the window, going over to wipe the whiteboard clean. 

"Good, really good. I got some great news today darling."

"Yeah?" I rubbed my eyes, wondering why I was so tired.

"Results of my scan came back."

"And?" I paused.

"And your Mom is officially cancer free."

"Oh my god!" I sighed, smiling. "That's so great Mom, that's really incredible. How do you feel?" I asked as I set my eraser down. We'd put Mom on that experimental drug trial as a last resort, and it had been a miracle from god that it had actually worked. And now, now she was free again.

"I feel amazing. Still a little tired, but I'm getting better. The doctors say if I keep improving, in a couple weeks I might be able to move back home." Mom sounded delighted at the thought, and I was too. We'd kept the house, renting it out for a few days at a time as an Airbnb while Mom had been in assisted care. It had just helped to bring a little money in to pay the bills, but now, she could go back. "Did you hear anything back from New York?"

"No." I sighed.

It had taken me months, but eventually I'd tracked down Dad and Austin. I knew they were both in New York but didn't know where, so I hadn't been able to go and see them. All I had was a P.O box that they apparently shared, so I'd sent them a letter. And another. And another. I'd never heard anything back. 

"I'm sorry darling." Mom said quietly. "I know you wanted to see them again."

"That's okay." I bit my lip, going to shut down my computer. "I tried. Maybe they never got my letters."

"Darling." Mom sighed.

"Yeah, I know." I mumbled. They'd got my letters. They just didn't want to reply. "But great news Mom, I'm so happy. I wish I could come and see you, but I'm just too busy right now with everything."

"No that's okay darling, I know you've got a lot on."

"Speaking of." I glanced at the clock. "I gotta go, I've got to go to the recording studio now. Call you later?"

"Can't wait to hear it darling, good luck. I love you."

"I love you too."

Stuffing my phone into my purse, I quickly packed up and threw it over my shoulder. The recording studio in town didn't have a lot of availability, and it had taken me weeks to secure a slot once I'd finished writing the song. I didn't want to be late. I was really excited. I'd managed to write the rest of the song I'd written the first night I'd kissed Travis, and was going to surprise him with it soon.