"You know, I don't think I'll be having any of these in my garden when I've got my own place," said Ron, pushing his goggles up onto his forehead and wiping sweat from his face.

"Pass me a bowl," said Hermione, holding the pulsating pod at arm's length; Layla handed one over and she dropped the pod into it with a look of disgust on her face.

"Don't be squeamish, squeeze it out, they're best when they're fresh!" called Professor Sprout.

"Anyway," said Hermione, continuing their interrupted conversation as though a lump of wood had not just attacked them, turning to Layla and Harry, "Slughorn's going to have a Christmas party, guys, and there's no way you'll be able to wriggle out of this one because he actually asked me to check your free evenings, so he could be sure to have it on a night you can come."

Layla and Harry exchanged similar looks, both groaning. Meanwhile, Ron, who was attempting to burst the pod in the bowl by putting both hands on it, standing up, and squashing it as hard as he could, said angrily, "And this is another party just for Slughorn's favorites, is it?"

"Just for the Slug Club, yes," said Hermione. The pod flew out from under Ron's fingers and hit the green house glass, rebounding onto the back of Professor Sprout's head and knocking off her old, patched hat. Layla went to retrieve the pod; when she got back, Hermione was saying, "Look, I didn't make up the name 'Slug Club'—"

"'Slug Club,'" repeated Ron with a sneer worthy of Draco. "It's pathetic. Well, I hope you enjoy your party. Why don't you try hooking up with McLaggen, then Slughorn can make you King and Queen Slug—"

"We're allowed to bring guests," said Hermione, who for some reason had turned a bright, boiling scarlet, "and I was going to ask you to come, but if you think it's that stupid then I won't bother!"

"You were going to ask me?" asked Ron, in a completely different voice.

"Yes," said Hermione angrily. "But obviously if you'd rather I hooked up with McLaggen..."

"No, I wouldn't," said Ron, in a very quiet voice.

While Ron and Hermione spoke, Harry turned to Layla.

"Lays? I wanted to ask you about Dean."

Layla threw him a sideways glance.

"What about Dean?"

"It's just that," Harry paused, "wait, are things all right with you two? I mean, I haven't spoken to you about him since Madam Puddifoot's."

"Oh, that," said Layla. "Things are fine, mostly. I mean, they're a little awkward, but..."

"How on Earth," Harry wondered, "did you ever get him over that?"

"Snogging, mostly," Layla replied with a shrug.

"Right," Harry said quickly, going scarlet, and the subject was dropped.

"Hand that over, Lay," said Hermione hurriedly, gesturing to the pod in the bowl that Layla now held. "It says we're supposed to puncture them with something sharp..."

Layla passed her the pod in the bowl; they dived, once more, for the stump.

"Gotcha!" yelled Ron, pulling a second pod from the stump just as Hermione managed to burst the first one open, so that the bowl was full of tubers wriggling like pale green worms.

The rest of the lesson passed without further mention of Slughorn's party. Ron and Hermione did not seem any different except that they were a little politer to each other than usual.

Katie Bell was still in St. Mungo's Hospital with no prospect of leaving, which meant that the promising Gryffindor team was one Chaser short.

Layla was packing her things at the end of Transfiguration one day, talking to Dean and Seamus, when Harry walked over and turned to Dean.