-59-

Book: Courage
Chapter 59
Word Count: 3546

During summer, Layla had pleasantly enjoyed her time with her dad and Sirius, but when the middle of August came around, Remus, Layla, and Sirius were joined at Grimmauld Place by a whole other family. The Weasleys.

Layla had always loved Grimmauld Place's decor and its messy interior. It made it more homely in her opinion. Mrs Weasley, however, didn't share the same view. Layla thought that Mrs Weasley would have a heart attack upon seeing the state of it. On the other hand, Layla had never seen Fred and George so happy; from the moment they laid eyes on the troll's leg umbrella stand in the hallway, they had set about exploring the house with great gusto. Mrs Weasley bustled towards the kitchen, muttering under her breath darkly and looking around at the walls as if they had personally offended her.

The house wasn't exactly the epitome of comfortable, but it was Layla's home and it was comfortable for her. Mrs Weasley would have to deal with the fact that it was her home and had been for the past year, Layla thought rather bitterly.

After Layla greeted everyone, she headed up to her room without another word. She had to admit, she wasn't the best welcoming committee, but it was nothing new. Ever since she had arrived back at Grimmauld's Place, she barely said a single word.

She sat on her bed with her legs pulled up to her chest as she gazed out of her window into the drab London alley. Since it was the middle of August, it was sweltering hot. As she watched a thin tabby cat try to break into the neighbor's rubbish bins, she sighed and reached into her bedside table drawer, pulling out a single Polaroid picture. The picture of her and Cedric. The only thing she had of him. The only way to still be able to see his face. She looked at it every day, hoping that she wouldn't forget what he looked like.

Suddenly, Layla could hear the door downstairs opening with a bang, and then moments later, the  wailings of Mrs Black, Sirius' mother, in her portrait, echoed throughout the dusty house. Even with a whole floor separating them, Layla still winced at the extremely loud wailing.

"SCUM! TRAITOR BRATS INFESTING THE HOUSE OF MY FATHERS! ROTTEN FILTH!"

Layla's brown eyes narrowed in intense dislike; she knew perfectly well that the 'traitor brats' was referring to the Weasleys. She placed the Polaroid safely back in her drawer before exiting her room, stomping angrily downstairs and towards the portrait.

"Shut the hell up, freak!" and with that, Layla pulled the curtains over the portrait, muffling the woman's screeches.

"Thanks, Lay," came a voice behind her. "So sorry. I don't know why I don't just dodge the stupid leg..."

"It's fine, Tonks, honestly. That woman has quite a big mouth on her, though, doesn't she?" said Layla, turning to face Tonks, one of her newest friends.

"Tonks," Mrs Weasley greeted, walking over to them. "I daresay you'd like a cup of tea?"

Tonks (today with dark brown curly hair) walked into the drawing room and sat down on one of the sagging chairs.

"A Gillywater would do me if you've got it," she said, leaning back more comfortably in her seat. At that moment, Snape strode in with an annoyed look on his face; his robes had the look of black robes smothered with chalk dust.

He nodded slightly to Layla, who managed a small bob of her head in return. Behind him, Tonks was crossing her eyes wildly and morphing her mouth into tiny baby lips, full pouty lips and a drab fish-like mouth in rapid succession. Snape lazily drew himself a chair with his wand and sat in it prominently.

"A spot of tea for you as well Severus?" Mrs Weasley called from the kitchen.

"No thank you," Snape replied smoothly.