041. ━ the return of amelia shepherd

season eight // episode fifteen[ the return of amelia shepherd ]

[ the return of amelia shepherd ]

❝I told you to stop calling me
that.❞

WHEN ELLIE WAS six years old and in kindergarten, she was asked to present her family tree. Even at a young age, she knew it was not normal for her parents to be as distant as they were. Her classmates' parents would volunteer to be the 'classroom parent', but her parents never did.

Mark did whenever he could.

But she never understood while doing the assignment how the Shepherd family never fit into the tree. They were her brother and sisters as much as Mark was. But they never fit into the tree.

That was when Mark sat her down and explained that they were family friends who were like siblings.

As she grew up, she understood that, and she never tried to step on the Shepherd sisters' toes when it came to Derek. They had their brother and she had hers.

But that didn't stop how much it hurt when Amelia snapped at her for being Derek's 'favorite sister' when she was in LA. The one thing she never wanted to do, she had done—unintentionally, of course.

Ellie was sitting in her office, figuring out the OR schedule when she heard her pager go off. With a small sigh, she looked down at it.

Dr. Derek Shepherd — 911, x-ray room

She let out a breath and stood up from her desk, making her way to the scan room. Just as she was about to walk inside, she heard Derek's voice. "Amy, I am telling you, it is unresectable." Ellie paused. "Let it go."

"I came all the way from LA to show you this," Amelia replied and Ellie peered around the doorframe, her eyes landing on the youngest Shepherd sibling; she looked to be doing better. "You could spend more than thirty seconds looking at it."

"I am looking at it," Derek retorted with a frustrated groan. "It's a gliosarcoma that has invaded the carotid artery. You try and remove it, she will stroke out."

Amelia scoffed. "Stop being a jackass."

"Dr. Grey." Derek looked at Lexie who had awkwardly been put in the middle. "Excuse us."

"Dr. Grey," Amelia countered, still looking at her brother. "Stay here. I need backup."

Ellie shook her head and walked inside the room. "Dr. Grey," she said, clearing her throat and everybody looked at her. "Give them a moment, please." Lexie nodded and hurried out of the room, grateful to escape the tension. "Thank you." The blonde looked at the younger neurosurgeon. "So... you're in town. Does that mean you're doing better?"

Amelia nodded. "I am."

"Good."

"That's a good point," Derek said, pointing at Ellie who frowned. "You just got out of rehab. I want you to get on your feet. But you can't help her."