The Recovery

I wake up and look over to see Jay sleeping in the chair by my bed. I smiles softly, but it quickly fades remembering the look on Otis's face when he saw Jay kiss me.

"Morning." Jay says, as he gets up and takes my hand. "Oh man....your face." He cringes.

"Oh wow thanks. You can thank your buddies for that." I say back with a little laugh, "Besides you aren't looking too perfect yourself." I joke as I look at him. His nose and eye are bruised a deep purple and his left eye is bloodshot. He gently puts his hand on my face and slides his thumb along my jaw, causing me to wince and flinch from him.

"Sorry." He lets go and leans in and I sit up slightly until our lips meet. His soft,warm lips press against mine for a few seconds before we both pull away. I smile softly at him as my heart slams in my chest and butterflies awaken in my stomach, as I look into his eyes. "You are so beautiful." He says as he sits back down. My face flushes bright red, until I look out my door and into the hall as flashbacks of my dad start flooding my head. "You alright?" Jay asks, but I keep silent and keep staring as the memories replay in my head. "Lottie? Parker? What's happening?" He gets in front of me, blocking my view of the hall, snapping me out of my trance. I look at him and clear my throat awkwardly.

"Sorry I just....really hate hospitals." I say, gently rubbing my chest.

"You're an EMT who hates hospitals?" He laughs, but quickly stops when he sees I'm not laughing with him.

"My dad died in a hospital." I explain as I look down at my hands and fidget with them.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't......" His voice trails off.

"Is anyone still here?" I ask, trying to change the subject.

"Shay, Boden, and Zvonecek" Jay says and I smile slightly."Want me to send them in?"

"I look like crap." I laugh, trying to fix my hair to the best of my ability with broken ribs.

"You look like a fighter." He kisses my cheek then walks out.

He soon walks in with Shay and Boden by his side and my heart drops realizing Otis isn't with them.

"Oh girl." Shay walks over and looks sympathetic.

"It looks worse than it is." I smile and keep looking at the door, hoping Otis will walk in, but he never does.

"He left." Shay whispers as she takes my hand.
"He went to see if you were awake earlier, then he stormed back over, grabbed his stuff and left." She explains and I frown.

"He saw Jay and I kiss." I say out loud.

"Whoah back up, what?!" Shay smiles wide and I laugh slightly.

"Yeah...that happened." I force a smile. Why do I even care that Otis isn't here? Jay and I just kissed! He likes me! So why do I feel so.....guilty?

           *A week later*

"Good news Ms. Parker, you are being released today." A nurse comes in and hands me paperwork, "Just sign here and we will get you out." She hands me a pen, so I sign the sheets and hand everything back. "That guy that's in here a lot, is cute. You got a good one." The nurse smiles.

"He kidnapped and beat me." I say plainly, not even thinking about the words coming out of my mouth. She stutters a few times then goes silent. "He hurt me and I chose him over a sweet, kind hearted firefighter." I mumble.