one.

001 ⎯⎯⎯ permission slip.

   "Seems like school wasn't all that great."

   I sit beside Ashlyn at the table as she repeatedly slams her forehead into it, her parents exchanging worried glances.

   I shake my head, "she's being dramatic, it was good!"

   "Noooooo! Not only was I stuck with that guy on the bus but now I have to do a group project with him!" Ash whines.

   "Well maybe it's a chance to make more friends?" Her mom suggests.

   "You know that isn't going to happen," Ashlyn deadpans.

   The doorbell rings and we all look up. "Must be the delivery guys," her dad shrugs, standing and making his way towards the door.

   Just then Ashlyn's phone beeps.

   She looks terrified, "Dad don't-"

   The door swings open and there stands Aiden and Ben and two adults.

   I bite my lip, wow.

* * *

   "Sorry for coming on such short notice," Aiden's father apologizes, "Aiden told us, Ben, Blake, and your daughter have been fast friends. And so we wanted to introduce ourselves."

   Ashlyn's parents both choke.

   I quickly jump in, "yes! We met on the bus this morning, I'm your next door neighbor," I smile.

   "I was just saying that we're happy to see Aiden and Benny fitting in. We move around a lot so Aiden's always been homeschooled and even for Ben it's been awhile since he's gone to public school."

   My eyes trail to Ben, Benny?

   His eyes flicker up to mine. And he smiles.

   I smile back.

   It really wouldn't be so bad to make more friends.

   I glance at Ashlyn and she looks like she wants to die. I chuckle. Ashlyn never did like socializing. She always thought it wasn't worth the effort to get to know others if you couldn't trust them.

   Ashlyn's dad smiles, "oh that's exciting, are you guys having fun?"

   "Yup! Especially with the field trip."

   Both Ashlyn and I freeze.

   This boy... he must be insane.

   He smiles, "I thought it'd be fun for Ashlyn to come along too..."

   "What field trip?" Her parents are clueless.

   "The kids have a group history project about Savannah," Aiden's mom explains, "so their teacher planned an overnight field trip for them."

   I glance at Ash.

   She's glaring daggers at Aiden.

   Uh-oh.

* * *

   "Mom?"

   I peek my head into my mom's room, finding her strewn across her bed, face down in her sheets. I sigh, "mommy are you okay?"

   She mumbles something and I glance at her night stand. Her pill bottle is empty and her scrubs are on the floor crumpled into a pile. Did she even go to work today?

   "Mom, I need to talk to you about a field trip."

   "I need coffee," she groans, rolling over.

   "I'll make you some but can you sign this please?"

   She snatches the pink sheet, looking over it quickly. "What is this? An overnight trip? Who's going to make dinner that night?"

   My cheeks flush.

   "I don't know I figured you could order-"

   "Blake. You know I hate giving money to those corporations, they always take and take from people like us-"

   "Okay then I'll make it before I leave," I plead, "can I please go?"

   Her face softens for a moment.

   "Make me some coffee and I'll sign this."

   Yes!

   A smile illuminates my face and I clasp my hands together, "thank you mommy! I'll make it just like you like it."

   I quickly walk to our kitchen, past the piles of newspapers and dead plants and dirty dishes. I'm going to have to remember to clean this all up before I leave.

   Our coffee machine is on its last legs but at least it still works.

   I scroll through my several messages from Ashlyn, ranting about how much she can't stand Aiden and how rude and invasive he is.

   A message pops up on my screen that catches my attention.

   It's from Ben.

   "Sorry about that."

   I smile, "it's okay, I hope we'll all be good friends."

   He hearts my message.

   I still haven't heard his voice.

   Wonder why that is.

   The machine beeps and my mom's coffee is ready. I pour it into her favorite mug, adding just the right amount of sugar and milk.

   When I make it to her room, she's passed out again.

   "Mommy?"

* * *

   "This is a weird question," I smile awkwardly, "but can any of you forge signatures?"

   Everyone looks at me blankly.

   I sweatdrop, "sorry! Random I know! Just forget about it."

   Ashlyn gives me a weird look, "whatever you say..."

   She stands to leave the classroom, Aiden immediately getting up to follow her. In turn making Ben stand as well, waving to me on his way out. Logan gathers his books next, bidding us all a goodbye as he runs to whatever class he has next.

   I begin to pack up as well, feeling someone's eyes on me. I look up to see Tyler, the boy having the same pouty glare on his face as always.

   I smile, "Tyler?"

   "I can forge signatures," he shrugs, packing up as well, "why do you need it though?"

   My smile widens, "really!? Do you think you could do me a favor and sign my permission slip?"

   His brows furrow, "what? Why can't your parents?"

   "Tyler!"

   I turn over my shoulder, Taylor at the door waiting for her brother so they can go to class. I expect him to get up and leave but instead he waves her away, "I'll meet you there!"

   When I turn back around Tyler is standing above me, his backpack over his shoulder. "So? Spill the beans, half-pint."

   My face flushes, "Tyler I told you-"

   "Yeah yeah, get on with it."

   I turn the possibilities over in my head for a moment. I could just lie, say my parents are out of town or something. But I really don't like lying, especially to friends.

   So I give him the gist of it.

   "It would mean a lot if you could do this for me."

   He rolls his eyes, placing a hand over my face and shoving me backwards, "yeah okay, I didn't expect a sob story."

   I grab his wrist, my face flush red, "really? Thanks Ty!"