Chapter 18 - Breakfast

Macey yawned and threw the silk covers off her body. Checking the clock next to her and realizing it was 9:30AM she sat up in bed quickly. She groaned and got off her bed, walking lazily to the bathroom. Macey started to brush her teeth and then proceeded to taming her wild and tangled hair. She was supposed to meet the crew for breakfast at 10AM, but all she could think about was crawling under the covers and going right back to sleep. Going out with Bex and Hale yesterday had been fun, but it had also made her very tired. She couldn't blame herself though, she had needed to go out and clear her mind. Her fight with Dempsey seemed to be overwhelming her thoughts, and she was not happy with that. How could he be so selfish? In a time of weakness she had opened up to him and the first thing he has done was run and tell Zach! And to make it worse he decided to say it was because he was worried and because he cared. Macey knew boys, and she knew better.

After getting fully dressed in a black shirt and tight black jeans, she slipped on her shoes and sprayed on perfume, ready for whatever the breakfast would entail.

Walking out into the hallway Macey bumped into Zach.

"Ouch, Gallagher Girl."

"Isn't that name reserved for Cammie?" Macey cocked an eyebrow at him.

Zach smiled weakly and looked at her, "I haven't talked to Cammie in a while."

Macey looked around awkwardly and struggled for what to say next. The last thing she wanted to do was stand in this hallway and talk to Zach about Cammie.

"It's almost 10AM, why are you JUST heading downstairs?" Macey frowned.

"I slept in a little today. Wasn't feeling too well."

Macey nodded with understanding and smiled at him.

"Well," Zach said as they neared the stairwell, "After you." He gestured for her to walk in front of him.

When Macey and Zach got into the large breakfast hall downstairs at Hotel Hale, the rest of the crew was already seated at a table waiting.

"Over there," Zach placed his hand on Macey's elbow and turned her towards the table.

Dempsey couldn't help but notice the contact even though he was quite far away from them. It seemed to him as if Zach made it a point to find every available moment to make some type of skin on skin contact with Macey.

"Hey guys," Macey said when they got up to the table.

Everyone murmured a hello except Bex who seemed to be absentmindedly poking at her scrambled eggs.

Why was she acting so strange?

Kat looked between Bex and Macey and noticed Macey staring strangely at Bex. She knew Macey wasn't stupid and if Bex didn't fess up sooner or later, Macey would figure the whole thing out.

"Have a seat," Hale started, breaking Kat out of her thoughts.

Macey sat down next to Kat, in the circular table and placed a napkin on her lap. She folded her hands lightly on her lap and smiled up at Hale, "I don't need you to tell me what to do, Hale."

"I'm aware of that, I just thought--"

"Well maybe," Macey took a sip of the orange juice sitting on the table, " You should do less thinking."

"Only 10 AM and the sarcasm is already dripping," Dempsey rubbed his hands together in mock glee.

"Okay, let's get it together," Zach started, "We have a thief to catch."