𝟹𝟶| 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚃𝚛𝚞𝚝𝚑

"What did you get, Walker?" I asked Ian, as soon as we got our tests back in Maths class

He pursed his lips, scratching his cheek,"What about you?" His paper is facedown on the desk, his long, veiny hand placed over it.

"I asked you first," I gripped my paper to my chest tightly, covering my marks as well.

"Evans,"

"Walker,"

"Geez, fine. I'll tell you when you show yours first." His gaze was fixed on me.

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"Okay," I said slowly, turning my paper around and showing him my score; a perfect hundred.

Good grades are satisfying.

I couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction wash over me, because sacrificing a good night's sleep was worth it, and there's nothing more rewarding than getting the results you intended to score.

The corners of his lips cut down- the subtlest of reactions, before he flips his paper and hands me the paper himself, not making eye contact with me.

A ninety-five.

I blinked not twice but thrice to see if I was reading it right. Because in all the years I've known Ian, I don't think he has scored below ninety-nine even once.

"Are you okay? You're losing your touch, Walker." I mocked him, repeating the same lines he has told me a million times before, The corners of my lips spread out into a smile, a huge smile, knowing I've surpassed my rival, for once in a test.

He opened his mouth to form a reply, but his expression changed to an utterly dumbfounded one.

"Hello?" I snapped my fingers in front of him, after noticing he was in a daze.

"You smiled," He said, almost whispering as he pointed to my left cheek now,"And your dimple..... its cute."

My smile faded as my expression quickly changed into a frown,"Don't make it sound like I'm so doom and gloom all the time." Although his words is making my face heat up again for no reason.

C'mon, we have known each other for years, this can't possibly be the first time he's seeing me smile.

"They're your words, not mine." He held up his hands in mock defense.

"Shut up, Bastard." I rolled my eyes.

"I'm not kidding. Happiness suits you." He broke out into a smile, his neck turning a concerning shade of red.

I chuckled lightly,"So does stealing your spot in the class." I flipped my hair before giving a smug look.

"Well, okay," He laughed,"Whatever mine is yours anyway."