letter #2 | the do's and don'ts

story timeline: barely legal (2023)

characters: the dutchies

a/n: i was thinking about my third favourite child aka barely legal and i remembered i had dialogue snippets for the prologue (the night they got together lol) that i had to cut because otherwise, it would've gotten too long for a prologue so...i put this together yesterday

---

monaco, sometime in 2023 (minutes before disaster)

«I think I got an ex but I forgot him.»

Don't do anything that can give your mother a heart attack. Don't fall straight back into social suicide. Don't share god-knows-how-many gin and tonics with a guy who sees your ex-boyfriend every weekend. Don't start looking at him with suggestive eyes. Don't lean against him to get closer at every possible opportunity. Don't laugh at his surprisingly funny jokes.

Do. Not. Drunkenly. Flirt. With. Max. Verstappen.

Or do. What's the worst that can happen?

A drink turned into two. Then three. Four. And she lost count at some point. Not that she was complaining anyway. Sloane huffed, feigning annoyance when he trapped her hand in his for the fourth time it seemed. Max smiled triumphantly and didn't let go right away. Enjoying his victory on a silly game she'd started in the first place.

"Okay, we get it. You're good with your hands." She relaxed her shoulders feeling defeated and quirked an eyebrow. "What else are you good at?"

He chuckled and finally let go of her. Sloane bit her lip. He was...looking quite good from there. Or maybe she was very drunk. "I'm good at a lot of things, Sloane." Either he was one too many drinks in as well — actually, yes, he was — or Max had been charming this whole time and she hadn't gathered that from the total of three conversations she'd had with the guy before.

"Like? Examples, please." She took a sip from her cocktail, maintaining eye contact with him.

"Driving. You've noticed that before." His knee touched hers.

"Ah yes. Max Verstappen wins the whatever Grand Prix." She lifted a finger, motioning for a number one. The same way he'd done in Miami, which was the last race she paid attention to because she'd been forced to go. "But the question is...are you that good even when it gets wet?" A giggle escaped from her because that was a pretty bad innuendo.

Apparently, It humoured him too because he smiled even more, the corners of his eyes crinkling a little. "Especially when it gets wet."

"That's hot." She leaned forward, resting her chin on her open palm and staring at him with entertainment. "Between you and me," So what if she wanted to flirt with this one guy? Wasn't she allowed a bit of fun now and then? "I celebrated when you won the championship last year. You did me a favour, even if you didn't know it. So cheers for that." Sloane raised her glass in the air, almost stumbling to the side and out of her chair due to the rushed movement.

Max, all amusement and getting the idea that she'd found a bit of gratification in him winning against a certain Ferrari driver, could only accept her offer, clinking his glass with hers. They did not stop looking at each other for one second. It was quite hard to remain responsible when there was something going on at the moment. But they were trying. He was putting a bit more effort than her, though.

"It was a pleasure to help you. Even if I didn't know it." She beamed pleased. "Anything else I can do for you?"

"Don't offer me such an opportunity, Max. I can get pretty creative." Either it was the heat of the party, what they were drinking, or whatever, but he was a bit flustered, she noted. He smiled against the rim of his glass, looking away while taking another sip. "Actually, I'd be very, very, grateful if you help me get some fresh air. It's getting hot in here." She pulled her hair away from her shoulders, fanning herself with a hand.