Moonlight Wings

"Xibalba?" The death god turned at the sound of his wife's voice, finding her fiddling with her fingers, looking almost...embarrassed? What in the name of the realms did this fiery woman have to be embarrassed about?

    "Yes mi amor? What's wrong?" He inquired, faintly suspicious. She blushed and combed her fingers though her hair.

   "Well, I was just wondering, what's it like...to fly?" He paused and grinned suddenly, making her turn redder. Why would she be so bashful to ask him such a question? Red eyes dancing he chuckled and slithered around her.

  "Why are you so red mi amor? It is merely a question." He teased, making her bat away his hand that had tried to sneak around her waist.

  "I just, well I didn't know how you'd take it and I...Agh, stop making this harder than it is!" She cried, causing his chuckles to grow louder.

   "Oh my sweet sugar skull, you're the one making it hard with you blushing and stuttering so prettily. I never see you blush anymore!" Her cheeks stayed hot and she now looked away from his mischievous tar face. However she felt fingers slide her hair back across her ear and over her cheek. And the voice she knew well spoke softly in her ear. "It's wonderful my love, you spread your wings, each and every muscle taut with anticipation, body waiting to make a move and then you leap and you take flight. Pounding your wings to keep you aloft you fell cold winds rush past each and every feather, directing you and your soul the way the sky wants, making you feel completely free for the ground below is so far away and cannot touch you. Each and every worry and concern leaves you, letting you dance in the wind and moonlight as if made from the elements themselves. Each breath is labor as the wind rushes past you, filling you, but it is worth it, to take in the freshest air in existence, leaving you breathless no matter how many gulps of air you take. You ache to spend the rest of eternity in the skies, never wanting to touch the ground because if you do, you will once again be burdened with worries and fears like a donkey and sacks of goods, heavy and burdened once more. But alas, even immortal wings grow weary and must rest." He sighed and looked at her face, finding it alight with a beautifully curious glow. She took a deep breath and gave a smile.

  "That sounds, lovely. I wish I had wings like you Balby." Her face suddenly fell and he thought her words over for a moment. Well if she couldn't have wings maybe, maybe... With a sneaky smile he murmured in her ear.

   "If you yearn to fly mi amor, then meet me in the graveyard of San Angel and I shall show you the freedom it brings." And with that, he disappeared, off to prepare for her flight.

    Xibalba wandered the graveyard, searching for his lovely wife among the tombstones and monuments for the dead. Suddenly he heard a voice behind him. "Boo." He jumped faintly, turning swiftly to find La Muerte giggling behind him. That's when he realized she wasn't wearing her hat, face pale and milky sugar in the moonlight that only brought out the twin stars that were her eyes. Taking her hand he kissed it gently.

  "You look lovely in the moonlight mi amor, ready to fly?" She nodded and he could tell she was excited yet hesitant. He crept behind her and murmured. "Now, close your eyes." She shut her eyes, taking a deep breath as Xibalba slowly wrapped his gloved hands around her waist. Suddenly, before she could speak or open her eyes he cried out. "And up we go!" Swiftly his wings extended to their proud length and beat strongly to pull both of them straight into the air, wind rushing against their faces. La Muerte opened her eyes and gave a scream, grasping for her husband as he laughed, turning so they were diving, making her shrieks louder as they fell.

  "XIBALBA WHAT ARE YOU DOING I'M GOING TO KILL YOU..." she began as the ground neared them swiftly. However a moment before they fell Xibalba smoothly adjusted his wings and tilted upwards, soaring back into the sky, He laughed aloud once more at his wife's fear.

  "What's wrong my sweet sugar skull? Didn't you say you wanted to fly?" He roared above the wind that drowned out his voice. He then shifted her until they were facing each other, causing her to grip him tightly, heart racing. 

  "Don't let me go," She pleaded, causing him to look her in the eye.Holding her securely in his arms he murmured lovingly,

  "I would never let you go mi amor, you will always be safe in my arms. You'd see something beautiful if you trusted me. Do you trust me my love?" She managed to murmur in his ear.

  "Yes, I do trust you...Balby." With her soft words of trust he turned her until she was facing the ground and she shut her eyes, not wanting to look down but he said over the wind.

  "Open your eyes, don't be afraid mi amor." He said gently. So hesitantly her eyes opened and she gasped at the lovely sight before her. The entire city of San Angel beneath them, seeming to glow in the moonlight, each house appearing so small beneath them. She laughed, spreading her arms like wings as her mind soared just as high as her husband's strong wings. He laughed too, enjoying the sweet sound that left his wife's rosy lips as her heart rushed and every breath came and went too quick to count. He dived and soared, earning giddy laughter from his wife as her imaginary wings lifted her to the stars and moon. Then he turned her until she was facing him once more and began to twirl her, as if dancing on air. She beamed at him with delight, his arms never really letting her go as they danced in the moonlight. And when Xibalba's wings were tired they fell asleep in her room, his arms still around her, just like when they had danced with the moon and the stars. For Xibalba might not have given her actual wings, but he had let her mind and heart take flight.