CHAPTER ONE

The growing flames washed over the mountain as a single helicopter flew above, dumping water that seemed far too little for their size. The crowds gathered with roaring motorcycles and shouts that gained momentum as they cheered on the firemen, who in turn blared their sirens and offered honks in reciprocity.

These kinds of fires were not too common in Valle del Cauca and their origins always remained a mystery, though some believe them to be initiated by the locals themselves. Vanesa never believed that, or at least she didn't want to. Everytime a wild fire occurred, so much beautiful foliage was damaged, animals were dislodged from their habitats, not to mention the smoke and ashes were not easy on the lungs. Who would want to cause something like that? She watched the commotion from the 7th floor window of the director's office, who walked back in just as several police cars arrived on the scene.

"Sad, isn't it?" He motioned toward the mountain with a folder in his hand.

"Of course, can you believe some people say they were started by someone on purpose?"

"Por supuesto." He scoffed.

Alejandro Cardentes was the Director of Sales at Tranquilidad Segura, one of the main life insurance providers in Cali. The previous year they were named in the 2004 issue of Best Life Insurance Plans of Colombia, and Vanesa was grateful to be a part of such an esteemed and rapidly growing company.

"Why do you sound so sure?" She sat in one of the chairs across from his desk.

"Okay," He leaned forward, "This is just a conspiracy, but a lot of people are saying there is a big cartel that just moved into Valle del Cauca and they send henchmen to start fires."

"Why?"

"I'll tell you later." He grinned. "There's one last client out there and he's all yours." Alejandro tossed the folder in front of her. "Sell him on the top tier.

Vanesa rolled her eyes, "Ok but you owe me the rest of your conspiracy."

"No promises." He flashed another smile and winked.

Vanesa grabbed the folder and headed towards the reception desk. There was a gentleman in a gray suit and tie, sporting what looked like an expensive watch and holding the latest cell phone to his ear. She peered into his file as he seemingly gave some kind of order on his phone.

"Santiago San Marin?" She approached him.

He glanced over, immediately mumbled a goodbye into his phone and extended his hand towards Vanesa. "It's a pleasure, thank you so much for seeing me on short notice."

Vanesa noticed he was young, yet seemed so cordial and put together. His suit was perfectly tailored, initials engraved on his left wrist. He had hazel eyes adorned with thick, dark lashes and his black hair was slicked back almost to perfection.

"We're happy to." She smiled, "Follow me this way." Her office was smaller than Alejandro's, nestled right next to his and had just enough space for two people.

"Take a seat." She instructed and settled into her desk. "Can you tell me a little bit about what you're looking for?"

"Eres hermosa." He blurted over a dashing smile.