01 | The Guest Brahmana

FADE IN:

EXT. THE BURNING RUINS OF A PALACE - NIGHT

We see crackling flames - the sound is not pretty. Charred columns rise and crumble; blackened cloth lies haphazardly and a set of jewels sparkle ominously beside what appears to be bones. The vivid orange light grows, bright but not blinding. And suddenly, there is a blue lotus seemingly floating on the fire. The fire now seems protective, cradling the lotus like a mother.

There is a single, high-piercing womanly note. The crackling recedes.

UNKNOWN WOMAN (V.O.)

(in a whisper)

I am here. Where are you?

CUT TO:

INT. THE INTERIOR OF A HUT - EARLY MORNING

We see SAHADEVA, normally calm and logical, his eyes snapping open, his form still. He breathes raggedly for a few moments, and we pan out to the rest of his still sleeping family. We linger on each for a moment, Sahadeva doing a headcount. Wait. Someone's missing.

Sahadeva rises silently, careful not to wake his sleeping brothers and mother.

EXT. A THATCHED HUT - EARLY MORNING - CONTINUOUS

ARJUNA, sharp and focused, is stacking firewood. His eyes dart to the direction of the door, from where Sahadeva emerges. Sahadeva's shoulders relax minutely.

ARJUNA

Bad dream?

Sahadeva nods, but pauses, his body language uncertain.

SAHADEVA

(in a slow voice)

I... don't know. Perhaps.

A pause.

SAHADEVA

(cont.)

Why are you awake this early, Bhrata?

ARJUNA

(glances towards his brother briefly)

...I miss them.

There are many people Arjuna could be talking about. The early rays of the sun reflect on Arjuna's face, revealing a vulnerable expression.

ARJUNA

We've been wandering for so long. Will we never find a home?

Sahadeva has no answer to that.

CUT TO: