Eight-Five

Cali couldn't stop her tears from falling as she watched the battle happening around her. She wanted to change it all, but how could she, when the outcome was always the same? She looked around, trying to find any moment that would give her the leverage they'd need, but nothing was different. Her eyes strayed to Steve as he fought, then to each one of her family. She was failing to save them, failing to stop it all.

'CALI!..'.. She heard her name, and her head whipped around, trying to find who was calling her... 'CALI, WHERE ARE YOU?!..'.. She recognised the voice, knew it was Clint but how was that possible, when he was over to her left, at least 100ft from her, fighting. Hearing her name again, this time it was a female voice, she stumbled to her feet, searching around.

She spotted them, the two of them as they ran through the battle... 'HERE!..'.. She shouted back, waving her arms... 'IM OVER HERE!..'.. Cali saw that they heard her, and she sprinted towards them, meeting them halfway. She didn't bother to hug them, but grabbed Ana's other hand, pulling them away from it all... 'How are you here?..'.. She asked in a pant, dragging them further away.

'I don't know. Last thing I remember, I was home doing the dishes. I found Ana here, heard her screaming. We're in your vision, right?..'.. Clint looked around, and seeing they were further from the fight, pulling on the two of them to slow down.

'Yes..'.. Cali let Ana's hand go, only to hug her tightly... 'I'm so sorry, I don't know what happened. Me and Thor were flying back and then my head hurt..'.. She hugged Clint too, stepping back to look between them... 'This is what I am trying to change, to stop this from happening..'

Ana wiped her face with her hands, taking deep breaths... 'This is why you left us? To stop this? Why didn't you tell us Cali? Why carry this alone?..'

'My visions ae my burden to bear, not yours. I did not want to frighten any of you with what I see. Take a good look..'.. She gestured behind them... 'What do you see?..'

Both turned, watching the battle, but neither one saying a word... 'I will stop this. I know now what I have to do, but I cannot do it, without you both understanding the price that will be paid by everyone..'.. Her eyes trailed to Tony, knowing what was coming. All three watch as he took on Thanos, getting hold of the stones. Cali felt fresh tears fall, as Tony snapped his fingers, giving his life to save the universe... 'He is not the only one to die, and I will not let anyone be lost to this fight..'

Clint closed his eyes, not wanting to see any more... 'What are you going to do?..'.. He felt Ana squeeze his hand tightly.

'You already know the answer..'.. He turned his head, looking at Cali and seeing her drop her head.

'No. Don't you think I've lost you both enough times? And now you're going to die, again?..'.. He was angry, and he just couldn't handle the heartbreak anymore.

'Cali, please don't do it..'.. Ana sobbed, holding onto Clint.

'This is the end for me. I do not see past this fight, I do not see the future for anyone but this. This was my purpose, I understand that now..'.. Calis voice was calm as she held her head high, hands clasped in front of her... 'I am Calliope Barton Odinsdottir, Queen of Etherealheim and Asgard, keeper of life. My word is final and law, you cannot stop me from doing my duty to Yggdrasil, and I will give my life, so yours can continue..'