Xelqua

Ren pov

By the time everyone had actually settled down for bed, the sky had begun to darken, heavy clouds rolling in as the first drops of rain began to patter against the windows. The drizzle soon escalated, and the low rumble of thunder echoed in the distance. There was a strange tension in the air, the kind that made your skin tingle and your senses heighten, and Scar was the first to voice what we were all feeling.

“There’s magic in the air,” Scar murmured, his eyes narrowing as he stared out the small window. The rain streaked down the glass, distorting the view of the outside world, but it was clear that this was no ordinary storm. “I can feel it.”

We all exchanged uneasy glances, the storm’s energy crackling around us. It wasn’t just the rain or the thunder—it was something deeper, something ancient and powerful, stirring in the atmosphere. The air felt heavy with it, like a thick blanket pressing down on us, making it hard to breathe.

Then, out of nowhere, a loud crash reverberated through the room, making us all jump. It was like lightning had struck right outside, but the sound was different, almost metallic, as if something had shattered. The noise was so intense that it sent a sharp pain through my sensitive wolf-like ears, and I couldn’t help but whimper as I instinctively covered them with my hands, trying to muffle the overwhelming sound.

I had settled down next to Doc for the night, seeking the comfort of his presence. He immediately noticed my distress and, without hesitation, wrapped his arm around me, pulling me close. His organic hand was warm and reassuring against my skin, and I leaned into him, seeking shelter from the storm both outside and within. The comfort of his embrace helped to steady my nerves, his heartbeat a calming rhythm against the chaos outside.

“It’s okay,” Doc whispered, his voice soft in my ear, trying to soothe my frayed nerves. “You’re safe here.”

I nodded, though my body was still tense, my tail curling around his organic leg as if to anchor myself. The storm was unnerving, its power resonating with something deep inside me, something primal that made me want to run and hide. But with Doc’s arm around me, I felt a little more grounded, a little less afraid.

Scar was still watching the window, his brow furrowed in concentration. “That wasn’t just lightning,” he said, his voice barely audible over the sound of the rain. “There’s something out there.”

Xisuma, who had been lying quietly on his cot, sat up, his expression alert. “What do you mean?” he asked, his tone serious. “What do you think it was?”

Scar shook his head, still focused on the outside. “I don’t know. But it’s not natural. We need to be careful.”

The room fell silent again, everyone on edge, listening to the storm with new apprehension. The rain continued to fall, and the thunder rolled in waves, but there was an underlying tension that made it hard to relax. It was as if the storm was a prelude to something much worse, something waiting just beyond the reach of our senses.

I stayed curled up next to Doc, my ears still flattened against my head, trying to block out the noise. The warmth of his body was a small comfort in the midst of the growing unease, and I held onto it, trying to ignore the gnawing feeling that something was very, very wrong.

Outside, the storm raged on, but within our little room, the tension was palpable. We were all waiting for something to happen, for the other shoe to drop, but none of us knew what to expect. And as the night wore on, the storm grew stronger, its presence a constant reminder that we were far from safe, no matter how secure our walls might seem.

The crash we had heard lingered in my mind, a haunting sound that seemed to echo with more than just thunder. There was a sense of foreboding in the air, a warning that something was coming—something that we might not be ready to face. But for now, all we could do was wait, huddled together in the dim light, trying to find some semblance of peace amidst the growing storm.