Insomnia

Cassandra's age:19

It was the week before finals and Cassandra laid in bed, eyes wide open.

She was so tired but she couldn't fall asleep, no matter what she did.

It was the third night in a row without sleep and Cassandra were starting to grow so frustrated.

She needed the sleep if she was going to do well on her exams but the anxiety from her exams were also the thing preventing her from sleep.

x

After a coupes of hours of trying to fall asleep, Cassandra gave up and grabbed her books before walking out to the kitchen

She made herself a cup on tea before moving further along in the apartment.

She sat down on the couch and turned on the TV on a low volume, wanting some background noise.

Then she opened her books and started revising.

x

She got through several pages before she was interrupted by a hand on her shoulder.

As she turned around she saw Jay, wearing a confused expression.

"Sweetie, what're you doing up?" he asked, gently stroking her hair.

"Couldn't fall asleep" Cassandra told him and leaned against him as he sat down beside her.

"Anxiety?" Jay asked gently and Cassandra nodded.

"I'm anxious about doing well on my exams and I know I need sleep if I want to be doing well but the anxiety is making it impossible for me to fall asleep" Cassandra ranted and Jay smiled lightly.

"That's ironic..." Jay joked, but when Cassandra looked at him sternly he continued. "But I'm sorry that you're having a rough night."

Cassandra's stern look turned softer and she smiled gently at her brother.

She could feel herself relax a little more with Jays fingers combing through her hair gently.

"Just close your eyes and try to rest a little bit. Your books aren't going anywhere and you're going to kill it on those finals" Jay told Cassandra softly, getting her comfortable in his lap before putting a blanket over her.

"Thanks for always being here for me" Cassandra said to her brother.

"Always, sleep tight. I love you" he answered her, rubbing her arm lightly.

x

After a while he could hear her soft snores as she had fallen asleep and he turned off the TV before closing his eyes himself.