PART 29

In her brokenness, I felt her ache,
Pieces scattered, hearts do break.
To gather her close, in love's embrace,
Mending wounds, with tender grace.
-Riyu

I'm shattered

I'm shattered. Beyond shattered. Siya's gaze meets mine with blank eyes, as though it's the first time she's ever seen me.

As I sit on the stool beside her bed, she doesn't acknowledge me. Instead, her gaze remains fixed on the wall where I stood moments ago.

She turns her blank stare toward the ceiling. I watch her, while she blankly gazes upward, unblinking.

I ache to talk to her, to hold her hand, to embrace her, but I know it will only worsen her state.

She continues to stare at the ceiling, devoid of life. It breaks me to see her like this. But I know it must have shattered her even more. She had finally begun to breathe again, only to have that taken away from her. She attempted to end her life. She wanted to escape from here.

Then, she looks at me, and I feel my breath catch. She appears so broken. Utterly broken.

"Go home," she says, and I stare at her in disbelief.

Go home? Who will tell her that she is my home? Wherever she is, that's where I belong.

"Siya," I say, taking her hand in mine, which trembles in my grasp.

"Don't," she whispers, her eyes unfocused, as though looking right through me. I feel invisible.

"Siya, my love," I say, and her entire body trembles, before she lets out a broken scream.

"Just don't touch me," she screams, her breathing becoming erratic, and I withdraw my hand.

"Don't touch me," she yells again, and I realize she's not mentally present. She's still trapped in that room where she lost all hope.

I rise from the stool and sit beside her on the hospital bed. She trembles, but all she does is scream now, breathing heavily and still staring into space.

I pull her into a hug. She scratches and punches my back, but I refuse to let go. She screams, scratches, and hits me.

"Shhh, it's Rajveer," I whisper in her ear, but she doesn't stop.

"It's over, Siya," I whisper again.

"Take a deep breath and focus on my voice, Siya," I urge, and she stops screaming but continues scratching me.