Anomalies

Chapter 1- And The Ground Rumbled.

I woke up to the rock of my slate gray rack as it turned like a carousel to let one of my rackmates out into the Shelter, Health and Gear Cavern, which everyone calls the Shag.

I touch the see-through screen on the overhead covering that surrounds my whole bunk. The screen awakens under my fingertips, displaying six blue boxes, each naming the different function they performed. I touched the one that read 'Shag.' A thermal image, that didn't do any justice to the fifty-foot high ceilings and rough gray-black walls that defined the Shag, showed seventeen racks, each with six members. I touch the image of the person exiting Rack 14, which is the rack my bunk is in, and it displayed the words "Mya J."

Each member of the Colonies was given a first name and retained the first letter of their father's first name, which is consider that person's last name.

It wasn't unusual for Mya to sneak out in the morning, and then to have the rest of us find her mumbling about something horrible that was going to happen somewhere in Ellor.

Mya walked drunkenly to the middle of the Shag, curled herself into a little ball and began rocking back and forth, no doubt muttering and cursing the ways of Ellor, which she proclaimed to have envisioned.

Then, an alarm, loud as a shuttle, rang through the Shag. The rack turned and let me and four other girls out into the cavern, which was in panic. Girls and boys, from ages fifteen to seventeen, ran about wildly trying to explain the horrible sound echoing in our home.

A voice, smooth and calm as silk, spoke gently over the intercom, "Good people of Colony 21, calm yourselves." The voice settled the chaos, but I had a feeling of unrest jolting down my spine. "Despite this not being a drill, no one needs to panic. Everything is under control, however Enderon has declared war on us, the peaceful people of Ellor." A cry of panic rang through the Shag. "But do not fret, the Guard will protect us. And Enderon thinks we live aboveground, and will use weapons that will only-" the voice was cut off as a blast shook the ground and made everyone fall to their knees.

Mya crawled over to me, as the rumbling continued.

"Amma, I saw it!" She exclaimed woefully. "I saw the world as we know it crumble. I saw the future. The war is terrible, and I am afraid of the outcome."

She continued to ramble. This morning's vision must have caused her to leave the rack.

Unlike the rest of the population of Colony 21, which consisted of teens fifteen to seventeen, I began to think that the thirteen year old (the only one of that age in our Colony), who I had taken under my wing, wasn't crazy at all. She had a power just like I thought I had.

When I was younger, I thought I could read minds when I began to hear the thoughts of the people around me. As I got older, I learned that that idea, of me being a mind reader, would result in a horrible fate. I suppressed that idea and soon the power I thought I had was gone. As I reconsider the possibility of that being true, I slowly realize that I am hearing thoughts that are not my own; these thoughts are full of panic. I begin to realize that my power, and Mya's, wasn't just a crazy, childish dream. We were powerful and strong.

And we were Anomalies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, y'all. This is HiddenFromLight, as you probably noticed. This is my newest creation! I hope you guys like it! And if you do there is a Messsage Board right down there, so get typin'!