•17

Before

Speeding, due to his worry for his animals, Owen didn't use the roads to get to the raptor paddock.

Terrified, although I kept telling him the Indominus wasn't anywhere in the Valley, Gray wouldn't let go of my hand.

"How do I get this child off of me?" I whispered to Zach.

"You don't," Zach said. His head snapped to his opened window as a noise occurred, "What was that?"

"A bird squawking," Claire answered.

Ignoring his Aunt, Zach took my other hand in his own, "I'm scared, Lauren."

Clenching my teeth to hold in my agitation, I allowed the boys to hold my hands, mostly to avoid their Aunt yelling at me.

By the time the sun had set, our car rolled to a stop outside the raptors exhibit.

Ducking out of the paddock, Hoskins saw Owen stomping to him, and decided to meet him and Claire halfway.

Not giving Hoskin's the chance to utter a greeting, Owen punched him in the jaw when he got close enough.

"Oh!" the boys shouted, while I praised the Lord with a grateful, "Finally!"

"Get the hell out of here," Owen said calmly, "Stay away from my animals."

"Hoskins, you wanted this to happen, you son of a bitch," Claire accused.

My mouth dropped. "She gets to swear, but I don't? Fuck that."

"Yeah, fuck that," Gray agreed.

I smacked Gray's head. "Are you insane? Don't repeat after me. I didn't give you permission to do that," I looked at Zach, "Did I give him permission to swear?"

"No," Zach said.

"Then, don't fuckin' repeat after me."

"How many more people have to die for this mission to make sense to you?" Hoskins asked.

"It's not a mission," Another man interfered, talking to Owen, "It's a field test."

"This is an InGen situation now. There are gonna be cruise ships that show up here at first light. Everybody's gonna get off this island. You're going to watch a news story tomorrow, about how you all saved lives-- No, no, better yet, how your animals saved lives."

Owen's fingers curled into his palms. His shoulders raised, then dropped, resulting in his head turning to the other man for questioning.

"They've never been out of containment-- it's crazy," the man said.

While Owen was busy being indecisive, Hoskins called for the operation to start preparing to leave.

Using that as my cue to join the conversation, I gave Gray a light shove. "Scoot, loser."

"This happening," Hoskins said harshly to Owen, "With, or without you."

And Owen couldn't let his raptors out of their paddock without their alpha.

===========

Designated as the head of operation, it was Owen's plan that needed to be addressed to the Unit.

Gathered in an illuminated tent with a map of Jurassic World laid on the table, Owen waited for the entire Unit to arrive.

First to arrive, standing directly beside him, I planted a coin within Sector five.

"What's that for?" a member of the Unit asked.

"Lowery told us the Indominus is in Sector five," I explained.

Deciding to begin, Owen raised his voice, "This is a game we call Hide-N-Seek. We've done it about a thousand times with these animals. When they get on target, and they will get on target, do not engage.
Velociraptors are pack hunters, they like to herd the animal into a kill zone. That's when we get our shot. Get a clear shot, wait on my command, and give her everything you've got. We've got one good target, gentlemen."

I gave a quiet cough.

"Gentleman, and Lauren," Owen corrected, "Do not shoot my raptors. Please."