•8

Before

Every exhibit in Jurassic World was equipt with two tranquilizer guns, in case of emergency.

Being our only choice in the short time frame we were presented with, Owen and I grabbed the tranquilizer guns from the Petting Zoo, possibly the least likely place to ever need those weapons.

Actually, I'm going to give a little flashback to when we grabbed those guns.

Claire, having the badge with a clearance level that accessed any door, was the first through the door. She handed a gun to Owen and kept the other one in her arm.

"Let's go," she had said, starting to walk past me.

I let out an actual laugh, extending my hand in front of the door to stop her.

"What?" Claire asked innocently.

"Give me the gun, Claire," I said, holding out my hand.

"Why? They're my nephews," Claire argued.

Her next move drew another chuckle from me; She looked at Owen for help.

On my side, Owen nodded at me, "I'd listen to her. Lauren can actually shoot a gun."

Grudgingly, Claire shoved the gun into my hands.

From there, Owen stole a jeep to take us to the valley. Using the GPS, he drove using the roads until there were no more roads, leaving us in the herbivorous dinosaur sections.

Owen flipped off the GPS, switching gears and speeding through the grass to the valley instead.

"No regard for lawn maintenance," I teased.

"Oh, shut up," Owen muttered.

I pointed the tip of my gun at the ceiling, giving it a shake, cocking it.

"What do you think you're doing?" Claire asked me, her tone annoyed, since I had made her sit in the back seat, "These are herbivores."

"And your dinosaur may have made it down here," I countered, adjusting my arms to position the barrel out the window.

"Tranquilizer guns won't do anything to her," Claire muttered.

"You know what, it's a shame it took an entire squad of ACU members to die for you to realize that."

"Watch your tone, Lauren."

"And I say again: what are you going to do about it? Can't fire me. We'll probably be dead by dawn anyway."

Owen's foot fell from the gas pedal, slowing the jeep to an eventual stop that Claire and I hadn't noticed in our argument.

"I think Lauren was right," Owen muttered.

"Once again," I stated proudly, "What am I right about?"

"The Indominus made it down here."

The smirk on my face fell. I followed Owen's eye.

Sprawled on the top of the hill in front of our jeep was a apatosaurus.

I cussed, kicking open the door. Slinging my gun's strap across my body, I ran up the hill to the dinosaur.

Her stomach was raising and lowering at a slow rate. Raspy breathing exited her mouth, pained from the scratches on her belly.

I dropped to my knees by her head. Carefully, I placed my hand on her chin, halting it from moving.

A whine left her lips, frightened by my touch.

"Oh, you're fine," I shushed, grinning my hand along her neck, "You're fine, girl."

Owen sat opposite side of me, his hand rubbing the skin on top of her head.

Our hands bumped into each other on her jaw. His hand moved over mine, holding it on top of her warm skin.

He heard her take a longer inhale than the previous ones.

"Go ahead, pretty girl," I whispered.

She never exhaled.

I dropped my head, slamming my eyes shut to catch the tears.

Owen's fingers squeezed my own before he took his hand away from mine.

I slipped my hand off of her wrinkly skin.

"Lauren," Claire whispered.

I blinked a few times, ridding the tears successfully. The same couldn't be said for Claire.

"Huh," I muttered angrily, pushing myself to my feet, "I guess the Tin Woman does have a heart."