Christmas

It had been a few days of waiting with a gift in hand, his parked in the garage, hers in three tiny boxes, one of them blue and hidden deep beneath a cavalcade of his mother's things that he hadn't had the heart to let go of yet. It had seemed like weeks as the excitement had become palpable, a real living thing. He had to be sure she didn't find it before the perfect moment. Phil and Betty as well as Jessy and Dan, were all aware of the surprises, but not one of them would tell. If the women hadn't threatened to disengage from all affection if the truth was spilled, they likely might have given something away in their excitement. Dan and Phil were almost as eager for the couple to exchange gifts as Mahri and Jake were to give them.

The group had hung out for Christmas Eve, they had a movie night with all of the popcorn and snacks that they could handle, but they had decided that they would wait until noon the next day to exchange presents together as Mahri was strictly a no presents until Christmas Day kind of gal. It would be hard to wait for the gift exchange, but it would give the couples every opportunity for a lazy morning, which Jake and Mahri planned on taking every advantage of.

His eyes opened slowly. They had a wonderful night of laughs and popcorn, with the best of friends, he didn't even mind the matching pajamas that Jessy had insisted on, but his best thing, his favorite thing was waking up with her in his arms. He wasn't ready to move or leave her side, but he felt her stirring and he wanted to make sure that they were both ready for the day so he reluctantly threw on a pair of sweats and drug himself to the kitchen. Mahri would need coffee.

After a while, he reentered the bedroom, "Good Morning, Love... Merry Christmas." Jake said as he leaned in and placed a soft kiss on her lips. Her hair was everywhere, her lips were chapped from the night before he supposed, and she had a terrible case of morning breath, but he never loved her more. He could only see how the light that streamed in the window at this hour of the morning made her eyes shine and the way that those same sleepy eyes looked at him with more love than he thought possible. Waiting for her eyes to open, he chuckled when she grumbled at the sun and the fact that she had to wake. He could only imagine this being how every morning would begin for the two of them and how he would never tire of this or any other instant they shared as he handed her a cup of coffee.

She patted on the bed next to her, the sheets barely covering her. He wanted to touch her skin, to feel its silky smooth underneath his fingers. He wanted to kiss the honey skin in the place where her shoulder curved delicately down and to touch the soft strands of her hair and move them out of her face to reveal the slight blush on her cheeks. Right now, though, he would settle for holding her for a while longer while she sipped on her coffee in the early morning light.

He sat down on the bed next to her, leaning back so she could nuzzle up next to him. She climbed between his legs, still the perfect fit, and he wrapped her in his arms. "You do love me," she squeaked out as she wrapped her fingers around the hers mug that resided in his cupboard. They were quiet for a moment and as she took slow languid sips from her mug, he stole sweet soft kisses on her neck and took in her sweet fragrance. Ian this silence, there was utter peace for him, and no worries crossed his mind, the day was starting but the pressure to make it into something hadn't arrived yet. He had never been bothered by silence, but the silence with her was something more, it was somehow intimate. It was as if the whole universe was right in this room and they were in control of their destiny.

She suddenly, now that her cup was half gone, broke into his thoughts, "I was so excited about coffee that I forgot to tell you Merry Christmas." She grabbed one of his hands and kissed it ever so softly.

He gave a low chuckle. "I expect nothing from you until that first cup is empty. I know that coffee is imperative to your well-being."

She turned her body sideways so she could see him better. "You, Jake, are imperative to my well-being, but I am glad that you understand the importance of a good intake of caffeine." He smiled and kissed her softly on the forehead. "I have been meaning to tell you that I have an issue with these mugs," His eyebrows raised as she commented. He always thought she enjoyed them, her sense of humor at the oddest things made her even more endearing to him. She continued, "This one says "hers", but shouldn't I technically be drinking out of the "his" mug? I am yours after all."