one | the beginning of the end

Wendy had always felt the pressure of her last name since she remembered, it was not easy to come from a family of successful athletes

She still remember when his father, John Menrho, winner of 15 US OPEN, awarded as the promise of the sport at the age of 13 and winner of the legend title for breaking more Ace's in a final was disappointed with her when he discovered that she had not inherited his talent.

The blonde still remembers as if it were yesterday the times her parents made her practice until her palms bled and the crusts of her toes opened to force her passion for tennis but, she just wasn't there, Wendolyn knew it from the age of 10, no matter how hard she tried, it was a disappointment for them.

It was not necessary to read it in the tabloids to confirm it.

As much as I tried to practice it or get involved in the organisation of events, it would never be enough to be Menrho.

Nothing would ever be enough.

"Oh, I thought you wouldn't come!" The black-haired man exclaimed before approaching the agitated and scruffy blonde with glasses he knew since he was 15 years old. "Art will have to pay me those ten dollars!"

"Did you bet for me?" The pale girl with light eyes questioned indignantly and Patrick moved his free hand to downplay it, anyway they were right to do so, she was in college and didn't go out much from parties, although if she was totally sincere, she would not be invited if the talented Art Donaldson and the attractive Patrick Zweig were not her friends. "Anyway, where is Arty?"

The black-haired man tilted his head to the left with mockery and little happened for both of them to turn towards a boy in a pink shirt on their back who was watching a gigantic poster of Tashi Duncan, the new champion.

"He hasn't stopped drooling looking at that piece of paper, you should get him one to hang it in his room and he can... auch," complained the dark-haired one when the blonde hit him gently on the chest knowing what he would say, disgust, Wendy thought. "Easy beauty, tomorrow I have a game to win"

"I thought you'd let Arty win for his grandmother." I smiled the one with the glasses so that Patrick made a grimace, of course, the old woman from the asylum, she had forgotten it. "And I'm not going to get him a poster of Tashi... it would be a little strange, wouldn't it?

"Of course, I'd better get him one of yours in a bikini" again the black-haired guy let out a complaint about the blow, it was once on the back of the neck "Be careful, with that I think about my plays, Wendy"

"I thought you didn't have a brain." The girl sneered to turn back to her best friend who kept turning his back on him. "He likes it, doesn't he?"

Patrick grimaced.

I wanted to tell her that she was only joking about the poster but the truth was that she didn't do it, after today, when Art saw her play and win the championship, she knew that she also saw Tashi Duncan as he did but could they blame them? That exquisite and talented brunette was everything a man wanted.

"I think we all like Tashi Duncan, Wendy," she shrugged her shoulders so that the one with the glasses would fit the same, the black-haired man couldn't help but feel bad, he knew her, he did that when she was uncomfortable or insecure, but he couldn't do anything, he just told the truth

"You're right," the blonde whispered in a low tone, even her parents liked the talented and future promise of tennis, she still remembers the first moment when they began to compare her to her and how her parents should be proud to have someone so talented in the family... unlike them who had someone bland and untalented.

Silence.

"Mhm... well, do you want something to drink?" asked the black-haired man to try to leave even for a few seconds. "I can get you a lemonade or something."

Wendy smiled as she nodded gratefully, that gesture was enough for the only son of the Zweig to disappear from his sight in search of a drink for his friend.

Tashi Duncan.

She admitted it, if she were a boy or if she liked women she would also be attracted to her, but only if she didn't really know what she was like.

He still remembers when he made her cry in his first practice together, after that moment he confirmed and reaffirmed that tennis was not his thing.

"Do you think that if you keep observing that she will come out of the poster?" Art smiled without turning when he noticed how someone stood next to him, he did not need to dwell to know who he was, he could recognise that voice and that smell of exquisite roses with vanilla wherever he went.

"I thought u wouldn't come tonight," he murmured to look sideways as her best friend kept her gaze fixed on the Adidas banner.

"Patrick told me about the bet... I couldn't let him lose 10 dollars." She falsely admitted to turn around at the moment that the blonde did the same to observe her. "Don't say anything, I haven't had time to fix myself so much... I had been helping Aubrey with tomorrow's arrangements.

But Art wouldn't say anything wrong, in fact he dared to say that something in Wendolyn looked different, maybe it was the slight blush on his cheeks or how he had applied mascara for the first time, or maybe... it was for the simple fact that he began to see her in a different way since he heard Patrick say that if one day he sat down, he would do it with her because he would be the only woman who would make him change.

That bothered him, not as a best friend over protector, but as someone who was not willing to lose her.

"You missed today's game, Tashi was... exceptional," he whispered without thinking much to return his eyes to the poster, Wendy didn't know what to say, she couldn't when her heart beat harder and her breathing slowed down.

Tashi.

Her parents, her best friends, the teachers, it was always her.

Always about her.

"Be careful or you'll have to fight with her fan club for her love," the blonde murmured to pretend she wasn't hurt, she couldn't, after all she would be a fool of just thinking that Art would see her differently.

He was with many girls, they all had the same pattern, if he was now looking for something different, it was obvious that Duncan would be the only right option.

"Well, we both know that I always win"

"But not tomorrow." They spoke behind them and at that moment they both turned to see a certain blue-eyed black hair holding a coke and a glass of lemonade. "I've already told Wendy, I'm going to kick your ass, mate"

Art rolled his eyes and both friends turned to the pale girl who watched them with those beautiful and deep blue eyes mockingly.

At least that's what he focussed on until a bustle and applause were heard all over the place.

Tashi Duncan, the university champion had arrived.

From one moment to the next the attention of both friends passed towards the beautiful brunette in blue bell short suit towards her triumphant appearance.

Hell, the boys thought hypnotised, how could I be there doing nothing and look like a perfect princess?

Tashi Duncan was everything they wanted.

Maybe Wendy Menrhon would be what they would settle for, at least one of them.