{Chapter 5} The Unravelling (Zoey)

A/N:

We hope that you're enjoying the story so far! Please check out our editing shop if you haven't yet!

                                                                ~

The weight of our discovery hung heavy in the air as Livia and I emerged from Daman's chamber, the echoes of our footsteps lost amidst the long corridors of the palace. The note clutched tightly in Livia's hand seemed to burn with an intensity that matched the fire that blazed within our hearts. We were determined to uncover the truth, no matter the cost.

As we ventured, the whispers of intrigue grew louder, swirling around us like a tempest of deceit. Every shadow seemed to hide a secret, every whisper a promise of betrayal. Yet amidst the chaos, Livia and I pressed on, our resolve unyielding in the face of danger.

"We need to confront Daman," I declared, my voice firm with determination as we reached another turn in the hallway. "We can't let him continue to deceive us."

Livia nodded in agreement, "But we need to be careful," she cautioned, her voice low with urgency. "Daman is cunning, and we can't afford to underestimate him."

With a shared nod of understanding, we set off once more, our footsteps echoing in the empty corridors as we made our way out of Daman's chambers. Each step brought us closer to the truth, closer to the confrontation that would determine the fate of our kingdoms.

But as we reached the door to the library where he was, a sense of apprehension washed over us, sending a chill down our spines. We exchanged a nervous glance, our hearts pounding in our chests as we prepared to face the prince of Jargona.

With a slightly trembling hand, Livia pushed open the door, revealing a room bathed in the soft glow of candlelight. Daman stood in the centre of the library, leaning on a wooden table, his expression unreadable as he regarded us with a mixture of curiosity and suspicion.

"What do you want?" he feigned tiredness, his voice cool and composed.

Livia stepped forward, the note clutched tightly in her hand as she met Daman's gaze with unwavering resolve. "We know about Jargona's plan," she declared, her voice ringing with authority. "And we demand to know what you are plotting."

Daman's eyes widened slightly in surprise, a flicker of uncertainty crossing his features before he regained his composure. "I do not know what you are talking about," he replied, his voice tinged with annoyance.

But Livia refused to back down, her gaze piercing through the mask of indifference that Daman wore. "Don't lie to us, Daman," she admonished, her voice low with intensity. "We found the note from your mother." She opened the note, smoothed it out, and showed it to him, "Remember now?"

For a moment, Daman seemed to falter, slipping ever so slightly as he realised the gravity of their discovery. But then, in the blink of an eye, his expression hardened, anger twisting his handsome features.

"You have no idea what you are talking about," he spat, his voice dripping with venom. "You are just paranoid, seeing conspiracies where there are none."

But Livia refused to be swayed by his words, her resolve unyielding as she stood her ground. "We know the truth, Daman," she said once again, her voice unwavering. "And I do not know what we will have to do. But we won't rest until we uncover all of Jargona's secrets."

With a sense of defiance burning bright within our hearts, Livia and I turned and left the grand library, leaving Daman standing alone amidst the flickering candlelight.

"I can't believe a prince would lie to us!" Livia exclaimed.

"Well, it wasn't that surprising that he would do that." I said while being deep in thought.