Chapter 3 - Part 2 : Silk Swishing The Time Away

The doctor arrived the next morning, followed closely by Keaia. She normally never dared to visit the Duke's Mansion while the Duchess was there, but upon reading a letter sent to her from Charles, she hurried over. "Why are you going to the girls' room? Did they get hurt?" She spoke with pride as she hurried to catch up with Doctor Rakiel. He looke down at her, and huffed "I am treating The Duchess, in her room. Not you stupid...insects". His rebuke stunned Keaia, as she had been used to The Duke's servants treating her with care and respect. Doctor Rakiel had been the personal physician of Leanna, but had been sent away to one of the farther villages after he had spoken back to Charles. Doctor Rakiel only saw Leanna as a legitimate person, and viewed the courtesans as insects to be squished under ones foot. When he arrived near The Duchess's room, Keaia tried to get his attention "My stomach has been aching. You should treat me first. Charles actually loves me not that sad wench." She reached for his arm and tried to pull him away. He snatched his arm back and looking at her in disgust only muttered "You are lucky I haven't slapped you, you insolent girl. Nasty vile woman, ridden with filth." Keaia looked hurt but backed off and slinked toward Charles's room. Rakiel knocked on the door gently and spoke kindly "My Lady, I have arrived. May I enter?" Delaney opened the door for him, and upon seeing Leanna lounging on the couch, beamed and walked happily over. "My dear, I have not seen you in forever! How good it is to see you. You do look a little less haggard, but I am worried. Would you like me to bring you some medicinal herbs that are good for rejuvenation of health?" Leanna perked up and her eyes shone a little. Rakiel had been with her family for many years, and had watched her growing up. He was the closest person she had to a father. She rose and waled over the Rakiel and gave him a big hug burying her face in his chest. He smelled fresh shaven, and waves of nostalgia shook her heart. Rakiel hugged her back, gently patting her head. His family had died in a carriage accident, and the late Marquis of Gresser had rescued him and taken him in. Leanna had become much like a daughter to him. It had pained Rakiel when he had been sent away to a village farther away from the center of the territory, and had vowed revenge on Charles for his behavior to Leanna. Rakiel then motioned to the couch and they sat down. Leanna pulled back the sleeve of her silk dress and revealed her wrist. Anger stirred in Rakiel's heart as he carefully examined the bruising. "What you need is a poultice to help ease the swelling. I don't feel anything broken, but your wrist will be sore for about a week or so. The poultice will help, but please don't lift anything heavier than a pen, and please limit writing at that. Rest and relaxation is the best medicine." Leanna nodded and waited patiently as Rakiel applied the poultice and bandage. They spoke happily about past times and Leanna recounted the last few days. Rakiel laughed at the hot poker stick part, and carefully placed several herbs in bundles and jars with liquid on the table and motioned to Delaney. She picked them up and placed them in a hidden bag. Rakiel was sad Leanna had to live like this, but was glad to see she had seemingly changed a little. She looked jus the smallest bit healthier, and there was less of a sad echo about her. "The medicinal bundles and these jars have properties that will help you from your head to your feet. I will include an instructional guide with your maidservant. I wish i could be here for you more, but until the fog has risen ships cannot sail forth." Leanna looked at him with seriousness and responded "The lighthouse is being worked on at the moment, and a search team will discover and purge the source of the fog." Rakiel smiled, and wished her well, hugging her one last time before departing. After the door closed and footsteps faded, Leanna flopped into her bed, needing a nap and tea time before dealing with anything else. She instructed Delaney to wake her up in an hour or so and dozed off. Delaney meanwhile started her preparations for what was to come. A week later, and Keaia was still residing in the Duke's mansion. Leanna, while aware, was planning her next move, and waiting for the right moment to strike. Delaney had not dared leave her ladyships company while a snake was in the grass, and when the two would go out shopping, a minion of Morris kept guard over The Duchess's room and quarters. Her first visit to town a few days after her revival was like a breath of fresh air. From the sounds of people merrily making their way around town to the delicious smells emanating from the bakery and market stalls, Leanna's heart felt so free and joyous. She and Delaney wandered about, sampling a little of this, a little of that. The people had mostly forgotten what their duchess looked like, so she was simply treated as a regular noblewoman. It was still a higher level of respect than she had from most servants in the mansion. Charles was terrible at managing the Duchy, so Morris and Charles's steward Herbert Dubois handled everything. It showed, from the happy people, to the thriving businesses. There were no homeless wandering the streets, and the town was clean and well maintained. As the pair made their way to the town square, Leanna noticed from the corner of her eye a child that had tripped.