chapter 4

[ Nicolette's POV | December 1994 ]

"Happy birthday to you," they sang, and with that, Mom planted kisses on mine, Bridget's, and Geo's cheeks

"Happy birthday to you," they sang, and with that, Mom planted kisses on mine, Bridget's, and Geo's cheeks. Dad, as usual, remained stoic, just watching.

For our 18th birthday bash, Mom threw a ball packed with our friends, family, and some pretty important folks. From prime ministers to big shots in business, it was a mix aimed at networking now that we're all 18. And, of course, Pierre was on the guest list, adding to the fun and connections.

Georgette, true to form, wasn't thrilled about the idea. So, she threw her own bash—a casino-themed party for tomorrow night with her friends. We are sisters but we just don't match each other's energy. She's always been the life of the party, a total socialite who enjoys her drinks. Clearly, the ball wasn't her scene.

As we sliced into the cake, I spotted my Italian teacher in the distance. How convenient! Mom had invited him, knowing he'd be guiding
Bridget and me next week at our Italian study camp.

After all the cake-cutting and candle-blowing, Mr. Marco approached us, handing each of us a gift bag. "Thank you, sir, it's an honor," Bridget said graciously, and I echoed her gratitude.

"No worries, it's an award for being my best student," he replied warmly with his thick Italian accent. However, what struck me as odd was that Georgette didn't utter a single word, not even a thank you. How rude.

"Excuse me," she muttered, making a swift exit to somewhere else.

"Sorry for my daughter," Mom apologized, clearly embarrassed by Geo's behaviour. Why does she always have to make things difficult?

After our small chit chats with Mr Marco, he went to grab a cake. Leaving me, Bridget and mom.

Trying to ease the tension. "It's okay, Mom. She's just in one of her moods again."

Mom sighed, a mixture of frustration and resignation evident on her face. "I just wish she would try to be more polite, especially in front of guests."

"Yeah, I know," I replied sympathetically, exchanging a knowing glance with Bridget.

Bridget chimed in, attempting to lighten the mood. "Well, at least we got some awesome gifts from Mr. Marco, right?"

I nodded, grateful for Bridget's attempt to steer the conversation away from Geo's behaviour. "Yeah, he's always so generous. I can't wait to see what's inside these bags."

With Mom chatting away with the other guests and Bridget catching up with her friends, I took a seat at one of the fancy circular tables. Pierre soon sauntered over as I finished talking with the others.

"Hey babe, how's it going?" he asked.

"Just fine," I replied. "Geo's been acting a bit strange lately."