chapter two

It had been a week. Truman still hadn't gotten out of bed. His family was worried about him but they didn't know what to do. He covered himself with blankets, tears streaming down his beautiful face, ugly sobs breaking the silence. His head hurt, his stomach hurt, his heart hurt. At that moment, he wondered if it was possible to die from heartbreak. Xavier was the only thing that he could think about. That, and his burning for Tate Bishop. God, he wanted to strangle the little twerp. He stole what didn't belong to him. Xavier was his. Truman's little meow meow. He hiccuped. At the moment, Tru had gotten up to grab some grub. He snatched an Uncrustable from the freezer and pranced back upstairs. His heart fluttered at the taste as he bit a chunk out of it. Xavier loved these. He still does. Truman shed a tear. His head hung low, the food turning sour in his mouth. Xavier...

The next day, he got a visit from his two neighbors. Abigail and Julia entered his bedroom, stepping over some dirty clothes and gagging dramatically. "Dude, are you ok?" Julia punched his shoulder, watching him stare at the ceiling. Abby stood there quietly, looking at the state of his room in disgust. Truman rolled over, facing the wall instead of them. "Go away." They glanced at each other, worry lacing their expressions. "I'll call Gentry," Abby whispered, pulling out her phone and exiting the room. Julia sat down on the bed. "What happened?" She asked. Tru sighed. He turned over and propped himself up with his elbows. "Xavier." Her eyes widened. She hadn't been told anything about his crush, but she was his classmate and could see how Truman looked at the boy. "I'm sorry." She flipped her braid and patted his shoulder. "Gentry's on his way." Abby came back into the room. Julia nodded and stood. "Get showered and dressed. Gentry is going to cheer you up, ok?" Tru looked away solemnly. The two girls left the house, still worried about their friend. Alas, there was nothing that they could do.

Truman got up five minutes afterward. He showered, hesitantly, and got dressed. Gentry arrived later. "Hey." The boy was leaning on Truman's door frame. "Salutations." Gentry chuckled at the strange greeting, taking it as an invitation to come into the room. "You deserve better, you know." The blonde groaned, rolling his eyes. He didn't want a pep talk. The other boy laughed. "Sorry, sorry. I know you don't believe that, so I won't bother. But Tate definitely doesn't deserve this. He deserves way worse." Truman smiled thinly, the ghost of a happy expression. "I don't blame him. Who wouldn't fall in love with Xavier?" The look in his eyes was bathed in pity and desperation. Gentry scoffed. "Me. And all of the girls in our math class." Truman nodded in agreement. "True, true." The two of them hung out for another hour before Gentry had to do some unknown thing that he didn't specify. Truman was concerned but didn't say anything about it.

Days later, he finally came back. His eyes were weary, his back hunched, and his legs sore. Truman kept his hood pulled over his head and sat in the back of the class. Some people eyed him suspiciously as if he were some form of drug dealer. But most looked concerned. Lois asked if he needed under-the-table medication. He had no idea what that meant so he denied it. Abi tried to give him three bags of Cheetos. Even his teachers were worried. And yet Xavier never even looked at him. His heart strained ever so slightly every time he saw the boy. Truman was miserable. The worst thing happened at the end of the day. He was sitting in math class. Class had ended and Truman was waiting for his sister, who hadn't showed up yet. Mrs. Charlie, his teacher, had already left. The only ones left in the classroom were himself, Lois, who liked making her brother wait on her, and Tate. Tru was shaking. In all honesty, he wanted to grab Tate and shove him off the nearest roof. He was sure Lois would help him. But he couldn't. Xavier wouldn't like that, would he? But who cared about what Xavier wanted. Truman could take him if it really came down to it. He was lost in his thoughts. So much so that he didn't notice Tate approaching him until the boy slammed his hand down onto the desk. Truman gasped, glancing up at him in shock. "Y-yes?" Truman sniffled. Tate smirked and dug his fingers into the metal of the table.

"He's mine."